:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 18

“Jeff and Aaron.”

Two groans.

“Mason and Tyler.”

Two more groans.

“David and Jake.”

This time there was a sigh and a snort.

“Luke and Greg.”

Greg coughed, his eyes snapping wide open. “What? I told you yesterday you shouldn’t put us together!”

“Don’t be a baby,” Luke responded.

I rolled my eyes. “Please be quiet so I can finish the list. Greg. Coon-tail boy.”

Luke stared at me curiously, and I realized my mistake. A faint blush made it’s way onto my face. “I mean Luke…”

There were a few chuckles throughout the class and I cleared my throat, trying to gain their attention again. “Joey and Joel,” I said slowly, gazing at the pair to see their reactions.

Joey didn’t seem upset, but Joel furrowed his eyebrows the slightest bit.

“Tucker and Zak…”

The expression on Zak’s face told me he thought I was crazy. Tucker held the same expression, although he looked more irritated. Neither of them protested though.

“So,” a new voice commented, a hint of amusement in his tone. “That means me and Oli, eh?”

Oliver shot a glare at Arden. “How many times do I have to tell you not to call me Oli?”

“More than that,” Arden shot back.

I frowned at the pair. “At least Oliver shows up for class,” I commented casually.

Okay, so that was a little immature, but I was still annoyed by the fact Arden had skipped class yesterday to hang out with his girlfriend— no, one of his girlfriends.

Arden turned to me with a frown, but didn’t say anything. Looking away from him, I turned to Oliver who was looking at me with a bored expression. None of the guys had moved to a spot with their new partner. A small sigh escaped my lips.

“Oliver, you and your partner move there,” I commanded, pointing at the first table on the right side of the room. “Behind them will be Zak and Tucker, then Luke and Greg, then David and Jake. On the other side it will be Joel and Joey in the front, then Mason and Tyler, then Jeff and Aaron... Get going.”

The scraping of chairs and boys muttering filled the room as the pairs went to their new tables. As each pair sat at their new table, they pushed their chairs to the complete opposite end to put as much space between them as they could. It took all I had not to roll my eyes at them.

“Alright, today we’re going back to the desserts again,” I started, clapping my hands together to get everyone’s attention. “Since today is the first of November, I thought we’d bake something that relates to the fall—”

“Pumpkin pie?” Arden cried, his eyes lighting up in excitement.

“No,” I responded flatly.

Arden’s face fell and he adverted his gaze. “Oh. Sorry.”

I chewed on my lip for a moment, staring at him. I was being too harsh on him. He only skipped school— every now and then I did too when I went to school. There was no reason for me to be so catty.

“You were close though,” I told him, lightening my tone. “It’s a type of pie.”

Arden looked back up at me, a grin on his face now. “Really?”