My Shock, His Pain.

We are on our last day of the season, a week and a half has passed. We have pulled all of our pots and we are stacking them, I'm at the top the stack. The seas are high, the winds are gusting, and I struggling to stay standing. I grip the pots tight as I chain them down. I put the last tie on and I begin climbing down off the stack, and suddenly I'm swept off the boat by a wave. "MAN OVERBOARD!!!!!". I stuggle to stay afloat as I see Edgar wade toward me. An icy chill spreads through my entire body, Edgar, who's in protected gear, scoops me up in his arms and pulls me back onto the boat. "Get her inside now!" . Nick and Edgar help me over the side of the boat, I shake and shiver, my body feels as if it were ice, and the lights lift.

I awake in an unknown place, I glance around and realize I'm in a hospital room, I try to sit up, I groan as pain shoots up in my ribs. "Nicole?!" I look over and see Jake in the seat beside me "lay down!" I lay back down, feeling light headed. "Thank the heavens, you're finally away". He looks at me, eyes watering, heart racing . I frowned at him and i attemot to move, and im shocked on how weak I feel. "How long have I been out?" "A week" he says sadly. A week? I've been out for a week! "What happened?" "You don't remember?" "No?". He sighed "you were swept off the boat by a wave, Edgar got you just in time. But you went into shock, thankfully it was only minor". I struggle to pull my body up to sit up and lean back against the rest. "I was terrified" he says, taking my hand. "W-why?" I studder as his warmth spreads through my hand. "I thought I lost you" he closed his eyes, as if he were fighting tears. My eyes watered up and I pulled him forward in attempt to hug him, but he pulls away "n-no, I don't want to hurt you" "you won't, please hug me". He leans down and hugs me, my tears escaping my eyes. "I knew you and the Harris boy were more than friends" I look up as I see Sig step in the room "good to see you're awake, how are you feeling?". He sighed already knowing the answer to that. "The doctors said you'll be fully healed within a week, Opillio season is in a few months, will you be joining us?". I look at him and nod, giving a weak smile, he nods and gently hands me a stack of money "your pay, you earned it, there is $40,000 there" "b-but I'm only a greenhorn," "yes but you were doing deckhand jobs as well need I recall?" "No". "Alright, I'll see you soon" Sig said before leaving. I sigh and set the money on the table next to me, Jake gives a slight smile "he's right Nicole, you earned it" . I smile and my eyes lock with his, our lips ony inches apart, he begins to close the gap an I bite my lip, once our lips connected heat rushed through me, warming every cold spot on my body. "I'm so glad you're okay" he whispered as he pulled away. I glance up at Jake "you probably should go....". His eyes widened "what? Why?". I struggle to find the words to tell him, "i-i think your crew needs your help jake." "No, we are all set off on our own already". I sigh and close my eyes, but when I do, my mind gets light. "Sleep well Nicole" Jake kissed my head and sat back in the corner.