On The Crab.

I lazily climb out of my bunk and stumble into the kitchen. I go to the sink and turn on the cold water, splashing it onto my face, waking me up instantly. I turn the water off and reach for a towel to dry my face, I groan softaly as I hf tb ang the towel back up. I turn around and jump not expecting to see Sig behind me. "Dear lord, did you get any sleep what-so-ever?" "No, after you took over the helm last night I finshed grinding up todays bait. I only got about an hour of sleep" I reach for a coffee mug and the coffee pot. I quickly pour the coffee and add the creamer and suger, I down half of it. "I can tell, you know since your new to all of this you can rest for awhile I'm sure Edgar wouldn't mind assigning Mandy to your spot for the day" he gives a slight smile. "No that won't be neccasary, any true fisherman or "fisherwoman" should be able to hold out through exauhstion and fatige and sickness. I shall do my best." I smile widely, feeling more awake. "Well, go right ahead then". I smile and take another swig of my coffee "so Nicole, what's going on between you and the Harris boy?" I blink in surprise "J-Jake? Nothing...." "Well I seen you two hugging over on the Corneilia Marie a few days ago" "he's my bestfriend". "Heyyy..." I heard mandy say, offended. "Okay okay, my second best friend." "That's better" she smiled and changed." Jake has taught me a lot , and he has showed me the way to do certain things." "Okay I'll quiz you" Sig grinned. "How much do the pots weigh? And how much are they a piece?" "They weigh 800 lbs and they are $1000 a piece" "Well done. can you wake up the boys ? we are about to pull our first pots!" "Yay!" I hear Edgar and Nick chant from the bunks. They run out fully clothed. Me and the crew all run to our gear and hurry to get it on. We run out on deck and take our places. "Hey greenhorn?" "Hm?" I look over at Nick. "Want to make the first hook toss?" "Sure!" I walk over and grab the hook, the seas are wild pushing their heavy weight against the side of the boat. As the boat alines with the bouys I toss the hook, getting it on my first try. I pull the bouys over and run the line through the block, behind me Nick runs the coiler. Edgar raises the pot onto the launcher and Mandy and I rush over with the sorting table. They release the latch on the pot and the crab pour onto the sorting table. Everyone hollers in joy, this crab pot was half full. We sort through the crab and I run over to the p.a to tell Sig the count. "2.5.0. 250" "250 got it".

We pull up all of our pots, which were loaded with crab. A 250-350 average. We reach our last pot of the string, I have thrown the hook for each of the strings and pots we have pulled today and yesterday, as well as running bait for the pots we had thrown back and I am exhaused. We pull up our last pot and stack it, this two long day marathon of pulling pots is finally over. We all stumble into the gally stripping off our gear, we all tumble into the dining booth and groan. "I under estimated you Nicole" "well well, Edgar actually called me by my actual name". Edgar laughed "alright hush up greenhorn". We all laughed. Sig comes down from the helm and stares at his weary crew. "Eat. Bathe. Sleep. You'll need it, we have rough seas and high winds all around our pots but we have to pull them". I sighed, as did Mandy. I have only slept one hour since I've been on the boat, I've been up for 48 hours. I will sleep, work, eat, bathe, work, and sleep. I will repeat this process for the next week. Then I will retur