40

Silence filled the room until I heard her sobbed. I drew my eyebrows together and pat her back, "Hey, hey, what's wrong?" I asked. It's not everyday that you could see Cara, the most hyperactive girl in the world, turned into a sobbing mess.

She pulled away and wiped her tears, "I-I'm sorry. I tried to hold it in b-but-" She cut herself off as she whimpered. I pulled her back into my arms and continued to soothe her.

"Shh, it's okay. Everything's okay." I tried to calm her but it just made her whimpered louder.

We stayed like there for a while until her cries quietened down. She broke the hug and stared at me in the eyes. She gulped before saying, "I love you. You know that, right?" I smiled softly and nodded. "You.. won't leave me. Right?" I blinked and my smile faded.

She grabbed my shoulders and shook me. "Right?" She asked again.

I sighed and nodded. "Don't worry. I won't go anywhere. I'm always in here," I pointed at her chest, where her heart is, "that is, if you want me to."

She slapped me. Like slapped, slapped. I gasped and held my cheek, "What the hell is your pro-"

I couldn't finish my words as she cut me off, "You won't go anywhere, you stupid friend!!" She shouted making me cringe slightly.

"Don't you know how worried I was when Jackson called me! I went totally nuts and B had to calm me down all the way here. I-I thought you were gonna..! But thank God Mikayla told me that you are okay!"

I just curved the corner of my lips up. She scowled, "What the hell are you smiling at?" She hit my shoulder lightly. I pretended to hiss in pain, making her panic in an instant.

I chuckled and shook my head as I looked at her worried face, "I'm fine, I'm fine. I was just playing."

She huffed.

I continued staring at her. My best friend. The one I grew up with. The one who never stopped pleading my parents to let me stay until school's over. The one who used to prank me by stucking gums on my chair. The one who always calmed me down when I cried as a child. My sister, my other half. My soul.

"I love you." I stated in a whisper.

"I love you too, Vicky Freaky."

***

Ten minutes later, I was still on my bed, munching on a dried seaweed as Cara did the same beside me. She's sitting on the chair, indian style. We were talking about random things when suddenly she casually asked me, "Hey, what is it about all the surgery stuff?"

"Huh?" I frowned. What is she talking about?

"What, you don't know?" I shook my head no. "Well, when I was outside, I heard your parents talking about something. They were whispering and all. It looks like something serious. But I only heard the word 'surgery' though."

Are they keeping something from me? Should I ask them? I guess I should. It is about me, after all.

The door got opened and Lucas came in, along with mom. Great timing.

"Hey mom." I called her.

"Yes sweetie?" She replied immediately.

I took a glance at Cara and she nodded, encouraging me to ask her. "Well. I heard you were talking with dad about something that's related to the word 'surgery'?" I tilted my head.

The room went silence. Her mouth was opening and closing like a fish. I was getting impatient. I raised an eyebrow and asked her, "So?"

She let out a heavy breath and walked up to me. She glanced at Cara and Lucas, silently telling them to give us privacy. Cara shrugged and got out while Lucas was frowning.

"Lucas? Are you okay?" I asked.

"I want to stay with you." He said in the most adorable tone ever. I almost 'aw'ed at him but stopped myself when I realized that he might not appreciate that.

"Lucas." My mom said, making him sigh and walked out.

I stared at her expectantly and she sighed again. She pointed her fore finger at me, "Before you suspect anything, we didn't mean to keep this away from you, okay?"

"Okay."

"I mean it. We just wanted to think about it ourselves before we tell you anything."

I giggled slightly, "Okay."

She took a deep breath before beginning, "Sweetie. The doctor told us something." I nodded my head, telling her to go on, "He said you need to go on a surgery to remove your tumour." Okay.. I already expected this, anyway. I nodded. "But there are two things that might happen."

She searched something in my eyes. I blinked, wondering what she's thinking about. She brought her hand to my cheek and gently caressed her thumb against it. "Whether you'll survive the surgery, or.. not."

I swallowed my saliva as I tried to process the thing she just told me. So.. she means that I could die during it? But.. "If I survive?"

"You can live," My eyes brightened as I heard those words. That was all I needed to hear.

"I'm doing it." I said in determination.

My mom furrowed her eyebrows, "Vicky, I don't think you're understanding this-"

"Mom. I want to do it." I said slowly.

She looked at me, concerned. She wanted to say something but held it back after she didn't see any hesitation in my eyes, and in my voice earlier. She took a deep breath before saying, "I need you to think carefully about this. This is serious. We're talking about your life, here. I mean, what if something happens during the surgery? Like, what if you couldn't make it?"

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "Too many what if's, mom. We won't know something unless we try it." I said, trying to make her agree with me.

She straightened her back up and squinted her eyes, "I don't think that's the right phrase to say in situations like this."

I just shrugged my shoulders.