16

I inhaled deeply before exhaling while standing in front of my doctor's office. His name is Mr. Rogue. Pft just kidding. His real name is Mr. Sander but I rather call him Dr. Rogue because he seems like one.

I just got done with my medical checkups and now I'm going to see the results.

"Okay." I whispered to myself and nodded confidentally before opening the door to the burning hell.

I searched around the room and saw Dr. Rogue sitting on his chair while writing something on a piece of paper. I cleared my voice, "Hello."

He stopped writing and looked up to me. He adjusted his glasses, "Oh, Victoria. Come and take a sit." He said, gesturing at the chair which is opposite to him. I smiled and nodded before walking towards the chair, not forgetting to close the door behind me.

After I was seated, I noticed his eyes were wandering around as if to look for something. Then they were locked into mine, "Your mom didn't come with you?"

"Oh, she's here. She's at the toilet and will come in here in just a bit." I explained. Even though I live separately from my family, my mom will come here once in every month just to go to the appointment with me.
She said that she has to be the first person to know what the doctor shall say about my illness.

Dr. Rogue leaned on his chair and joined his fingers together, "We'll wait for her then."

I couldn't help but agree with him. This is because I know that what he is going to say will make me want a shoulder to cry on.

After 3 minutes the door swung open and revealed my mom, "Oh gosh, sorry I'm so late. Nature called." She chuckled awkwardly.

"Don't worry about it, Mrs. Maurice. Please, do sit down." Dr. Rogue said gesturing at the chair to my left side.

Mom sat down and took a deep breath before instantly asking him, "Doctor, how is my daughter?"

Dr. Rogue pressed his lips into thin line before sighing dramatically. He examined my test result for a short while and shot me a glare which made my legs tremble, "Victoria, how have you been feeling these days?"

I thought about it for a second before answering, "I've been feeling great, actually. I didn't faint and I haven't had a headache for a long time."

Dr. Rogue nodded and wrote something down. My mom looked at me to see if I was lying and I gave her the assuring smile. She nodded and averted her attention towards the doctor once again.

He adjusted his glasses and looked at my mom, "Seems like your daughter is fine for now, Mrs. Maurice. Her health is in a stable state. But you still need to keep an eye on her 24/7 as there are many probabilities that the disease will attack drastically anytime soon."

My mom frowned and nodded hesitantly. She smiled at him as she took a hold onto my hand, squeezing it lightly. She grazed her thumb on my hand soothingly as if to cool me down.

"Thank you, Dr. Sander. I will do just that." She said calmly.

He nodded his head and stood up. Mom and I copied his action. He held his hand out for a handshake with my mom and she took it, smiling gratefully at him. "See you both next month for the next medical checkup."

"Sure. Then, we'll be going now." Mom informed.

As we were just about to turn around, Dr. Rogue called out to us. "Wait. I need to have a word or two with Victoria if you don't mind."

Mom nodded and released my hand from hers. "I'll wait for you at the parking lot." She whispered and walked out of the room.

I turned back around to meet Dr. Rogue and he once again gestured me to sit down. I did just that and waited for him to spit out whatever he's going to say.

He took a deep breath and looked at me with a stern-looking face. "Victoria, do you know what I'm going to tell you now?"

I could feel my hands trembling uncontrollably. I shook my head slowly and straighten myself up to get ready to listen to what he's about to say.

"Have you been skipping your pills?" He began.

Oh shoot.

I gulped slowly and stuttered, "I-I-"

He cut me off with a sigh. "I know you hate being tied down like this, but you need to eat the medicines. Yes, maybe they won't help with your living duration, but they will surely make you live like a normal person."

"I am living like a normal person." I argued.

"You are not and you know it yourself too. You told me you haven't fainted, is it? I believe you. But are you sure that you didn't have even the slightest headache?"

"I'm hundred percent sure. I've been living quite fine."

He sighed. He then took out something from under the table. It is a big brown envelope.

"This is your scan's result."

I looked at it confusedly before finally realizing that it was from a month ago. "I totally forgot about it."

He nodded, "We've known the result for quite a long time, but we didn't tell you because.." He trailed off as he took out the content.

It was the scan for my brain. He pointed his fore finger at some side of the brain for me to see.

What is that?

"Now tell me seriously, Victoria, because this is extremely important. Your mom is not here so you don't have to worry in regard to see her cry. Have you had even the slightest headache for this past month?"

I sighed and shook my head. I closed my eyes and whispered slowly,

"..Yes."