Chapter Twenty-One

空着让它空着

为谁固执保留的位置

关于我们的事 我毫不掩饰

I started to sing my part of the first verse as Kyuhyun oppa of Super Junior fumbled with his mic. He was trying to reduce the nervousness in him as we started our rehearsal for the SMTown concert, which is in two days.

爱为什么结束

也许只是少一点的坚持

拥抱的温度 渐渐地流失

降到零下几度

As he started singing his part, I thought back to what SM had done to me once I went back after the stupid press conference. They had forbid my manager or any of my seniors to give me any food or water as my punishment. It was the worst day of my life, not counting my trainee days, as I was hungry and tired and thirsty and I could only sleep my day away.

以为快乐 只能到此为止

还有谁能让我义无反顾

I joined him in the pre-chorus before looking into his eyes and pretend I was in love with him, but I couldn't be with him due to our different positions in the community. I didn't want to duet with Kyuhyun, but if I was to choose between Kyuhyun and Taeyong, of course I would choose Kyuhyun.

如果我要很努力 才能忘记你

我试过 真的不容易

因为在心底 还是抹不去

太多伤痛在延续

Actually, if you listened close enough to the lyrics, you would actually think that it was written for me and Kris. I mean, it does describe that the both of us are trying hard to move on, but we can't, because we can't get over one another. But I doubt that now, he was dating his co-actor, so what would I mean to him? A younger sister he should protect?

我情愿能祝福你 也祝福自己

某一天 会有人爱你

从此幸福了 不小心的忘记

I didn't want to be a burden to him, and I don't want to be a burden to anyone. I want to be someone independent, someone that can do things by herself without needing others to worry about. And for the CEO of the company, I just want to make him happy, so he wouldn't have to force me into practicing more than others and torturing me by not giving me meals for the day.

As we sang the second verse, which was exactly the same thing as the first, I was on the verge of tears. Kim Young Min, the CEO of the company, had just entered the arena and was walking towards us with a smirk and determined look on his face that was directed towards me.

Kyuhyun, who noticed my sudden discomfort, acted like he was going in for a hug as part of the song and self-added choreo to satisfy both the choreographer and Kim Young Min. I acted along and tried to push him away, but he insisted on the hug, pulling me into his embrace. I couldn't help it, with the song being emotional itself, it made me and the choreo emotional.

So here I am, in Kyuhyun's embrace, crying and singing the last sentence to the song, hoping Young Min would be happy with our first on-stage practice.

最后微笑的 却幸福的忘记

We pulled apart and I wiped my tears away with the face towel that a staff from the backstage gave. Kyuhyun, who had ran through the same choreo with me for about five times, was also sweating and he too was wiping his face with a towel. We complimented one another at the sudden twist in the end as Young Min and our choreographer, Ms Nara clapped and walked towards us.

Sensing my fear and heard my small whimper, Kyuhyun had pulled me closer to him and placed his arm around my waist, assuring me protection of an older brother. You see, ever since Kris left, the others had been protective of me. They would keep me away from interacting often with Young Min as they knew I was going to end up like Kris if I met him often.

"Well done. That twist in the end was a great job, although I didn't choreographed it. I hope to see a better performance for tomorrow's practice."

We thanked Ms Nara as Young Min himself gave us a small smile before going backstage. Maybe he was going to look and interact with others. But I doubt they would be much respecting him. Ever since a few contraction disputes, many of the SM employees lost respect towards him as he had tortured those and made them leave the company with them requesting for it.

"Lily, I love the way you cried for real and could still hold onto the calmness of your voice. Keep it up. I long to see great things out of you."

I nodded and thanked her once more before she disappeared behind the trail left by Young Min. Kyuhyun's grip on my waist loosened and I gave him a smile as thanks. We walked each other back to the dorms and he walked me to the EXO dorm, where I still lived, since two years ago. He hugged me and bid me goodbye as I opened the door to the dorm and the biggest surprise ever since my casting.