:A Proscriptive Relationship: 48

Start from the beginning

"If they shoot you?"

"Lance! Don't say things like that so easily! Who are you with?"

I could imagine Lance rolling his eyes. "I'm by myself, outside. No one will overhear us."

"Still," I growled. "What time are you picking me up?"

"Seven," Lance told me. "Be ready."

I nodded; once again forgetting Lance couldn't seem me. "I will."

Suddenly I heard another voice that wasn't Lance's on the other side of my phone. I thought he said he was alone! Lance spoke to the person and after a minute of Lance and the person arguing quietly I heard a weird noise. Then a new person spoke.

"Holly?"

My breath caught in my throat and my eyes widened. "Mr. Heywood?"

"Yeah, it's me. Why aren't you in school today?"

Suddenly my palms felt widely and I looked around widely, not knowing what to say. I didn't want to lie to Mr. Heywood, but there was no way I could tell the truth!

"I just don't feel well, but I've got to go now, bye!" I said in a rush before pulling the phone away and snapping my phone shut.

My heart was pounding as I stood stock-still, feeling embarrassed again. Why did I hang up so quickly? I hadn't even said goodbye to Lance, who was the one who called me in the first place... Wait. How could Lance have called? He didn't have his phone.

Flipping open my phone again, I meant to check my recent calls but my eyes widened surprise when they landed on my phone's background. Instead of Mr. Heywood making a funny face like it was before, it was something else. Mr. Heywood was still there, but now he was in a suit, and he was raising an eyebrow and holding up his phone. I could just barely make out the picture of myself making a funny face on his phone. My face heated up as I quickly hit the menu button. When had Mr. Heywood got a chance to change my background?

My recent calls showed that Lance had used Mr. Heywood's phone to call me. I frowned, feeling bad for hanging up now. Clicking on his name, I started a text message and quickly wrote an apology for hanging up. I hit send and quickly stuffed my phone in my pocket.

Not even a minute later my phone buzzed in my pocket. After a brief moment of hesitation I pulled it open and read the text message from Mr. Heywood.

We need to talk.

I read his message over in my head a few times. For a moment I panicked, thinking something was wrong. But there couldn't be. I didn't do anything, nor did he. Anyway, he was right. We did need to talk... I hit the reply button and wrote out an agreement before tossing the phone onto the couch.

I could really use a long, warm shower.

Time passed as I curled up on my couch with a book when I was done showering. When my stomach started to rumble, I decided it was time to get something to eat. Going back downstairs, I passed the living room, glancing quickly at the couch where my phone still lay. I'd check it after I ate.

After a steaming bowl of chicken noodle soup I trudged to the couch and picked up my phone. One new text message. I opened it; already knowing it was from Mr. Heywood.

Are you going to the festival tonight? Maybe I'll see you.

My brows furrowed in confusion. Did I tell Mr. Heywood I was going to the festival? I couldn't remember. When I clicked reply, I noticed that it was not Mr. Heywood's number who sent the text message. It was Lance's.

Instantly my heart beat increased and I gripped the phone harder. What did Shawn mean by that? Was he going to the festival too? Was he going to try something? Suddenly I felt sick. I collapsed onto the couch, staring dumbly at my phone. Should I tell someone? Or was Shawn just trying to mess with me?