:A Proscriptive Relationship: 36

Rain ran down my face in small streams as I hurried down the dark street that led to Mr. Heywood's apartment. The forest that surrounded the road was creeping me out, but I put my best foot forward and continued, trying my best to ignore the unnerving woods. It really wasn't working.

A shudder passed over me when I imagined what could be in there watching me. I really had to stop watching so many horror movies. Pulling my jacket tighter, I kept my head straight, and my eyes on the ground. Only a little further until I'd be on a main road, and then Mr. Heywood's apartment would only be about three blocks away.

I frequently checked my phone to see if Laura, Casey, or Jeremy had decided to contact me. There had been no contact from any of them for the past twenty minutes. I was surprised my phone even still worked, seeing as how I was soaked to the bone and it had been in my hand the whole time, only slightly shielded from the precipitation.

A cracking noise from my left made me jump violently. I twisted towards it and stayed stock still, eyeing the area apprehensively. When a squirrel came barreling out of the black a small chuckle escaped my lips. It was just my stupid imagination again...

This time there was the sound of gravel crackling behind me and I whipped around to see a car approaching. I relaxed again, cursing my timid persona. The car continued to grow closer, and as I heard it slow down, my heart started speeding up again.

I kept walking, pretending a car wasn't following me. Wait, I didn't even know if it was following me. Maybe someone needed to ask for directions... I highly doubted that. Picking up my pace, I moved closer to the forest and away from the road. Whoever was on the car switched to high beams, and kept them on me.

By this time, I was slightly terrified. Shawn's words echoed in my mind. "I have different plans for you." I glanced back at the car quickly, but couldn't make out the driver. Suddenly it pulled ahead of me and came to a stop. I stopped too, staring at it warily.

When the door opened, I decided my best bet was to flee. Turning on my heel, I started sprinting towards the forest. The person in the car honked, scaring the crap out of me, and only making me run faster. I heard the opening and closing of a door and someone shouting after me.

I clutched my phone in a panic. Why now? Why couldn't have Shawn waited? I had to talk to Mr. Heywood! And no one knew where I was going besides Laura, who didn't know anyone but my mom! I stumbled over a bush as I fought my way through the over-growth and trees. Someone was still shouting after me.

A wet tree branch slapped my face as I tried to duck under it, temporarily blinding me. Whoever was chasing me was growing closer, fast. Suddenly my foot gave out from under me and I opened my mouth in surprise but no noise came out as I fell face first. I was sliding before I had a chance to pick myself up off the ground. When I reached the bottom of the hill, I got a face full of sand.

Without moving I held down the "5" button on my phone, slowly bringing it to my head. It rang once, twice, and on the third ring I heard the sound of someone picking up.

"Mr. Heywood?" I whispered, staying as silent as possible.

"Holly," he responded, sounding both amused and frustrated for some reason. "What-"

"Help me, I don't know where I am, but someone's after me," I whispered in a rush, squeezing my eyes shut. "I know I'm always in these situations and I'm sorry, but I'm scared. So please-"

Suddenly there was a loud cry of surprise behind me, and my words were cut off as something heavy fell onto my back. I dropped my phone in surprise, a rush of air escaping my mouth, leaving me winded. The weight was gone almost as soon as it appeared, but I was still gasping for breath.