:A Proscriptive Relationship: 38

"Okay, everyone go to your lab stations and I'll begin to hand out the rats. Make sure either you or your partner grabs a dissection tray, and dissection tools," Mr. Heywood started, shooing everyone out of their seats with his hands.

There was the scraping of chairs, little groans, and some twitters of excitement. I stayed in my seat, looking down at the phone in my hand for any new news. My heart skipped a beat when I saw I had a text message from Laura. It took me a few tries to unlock my phone and read it because my hands were shaking.

"Still nothing."

I sighed, hitting the reply button and typing a quick "okay". Lance still wasn't conscious. But he wasn't in critical condition anymore either, so that was good. His mom had been keeping Casey and I updated constantly, which is why I had my phone out in class. Usually I stuck to the no texting in class rule.

"Phone away, Ms. Evers."

I nearly jumped a mile in my seat. Mr. Heywood smirked down at me when I lifted my head to grin at him sheepishly. "Sorry."

"Normally I'm supposed to confiscate it..." Mr. Heywood trailed off, the smirk on his face growing wider, probably thinking of the time he had tricked me. "But since I know you're worried about Lance, I'll let you keep it. Don't let me see it again."

"Um, thanks," I muttered, still pink-faced. I quickly slipped my phone into my pocket. "Mr. Heywood?"

"What?"

"Since Lance is my lab partner, what am I going to do? Should I join another group?" I asked, hoping I didn't have to work alone. Dead rats and me didn't mix.

"No," Mr. Heywood responded. "You'll be working with me."

My eyes widened slightly. How lucky was that? I couldn't stop a small grin from spreading across my face. He must have done this a thousand times! Now I wouldn't have to touch the disgusting thing! Mr. Heywood started raised an eyebrow at my expression.

"I hope you're not thinking that I'll be doing all the work," he commented, his smirk growing.

I scowled at him. Damn.

"No," I lied, determined not to give him the satisfaction of somehow being able to read me easily.

"Right..."

"I wasn't!"

"You can't lie to me," Mr. Heywood responded, shaking his head. "You think you'd realize that by now?"

I scowled at him. "Maybe I have lied--"

"Mr. Heywood?"

Sadie's voice gave me a start, and I turned to look at her. She smiled at me quickly, before redirecting her attention to Mr. Heywood. A small whoosh of air left my mouth and I swallowed nervously. I had totally forgotten that I was in class! Judging by Mr. Heywood's unsurprised look, he hadn't. He smiled at Sadie.

"Yes?"

"Are you going to pass out the rats soon?" she asked, an amused smile slipping onto her face. "My partner and I are ready."

"Right away," Mr. Heywood responded, mock saluting her.

Sadie giggled and I couldn't help a smile from slipping onto my face. As she walked away, Mr. Heywood gestured me to follow him into the supply room. I obeyed immediately, trailing behind him like a dog as he made his way towards the room.

"Grab that tub off the counter," he ordered, gesturing towards a humongous, white tub. "Get the box of latex gloves as well."

"What are you going to take?"