Return (William x Reader)

Faint rustles of the long trim followed by rapid thumping footsteps echo against the dense wood. A dull overcast of rolling thunder clouds spreads across the previously blush sky. A panicked expression scrunches upon my face as your nose shrivels and eyes squint, attempting to identify the distant surroundings. The darkness encroached upon a clear vision of the forest. You stare upwards towards the multi-colored sky, hoping to gain some sense of direction as you continue to sprint aimlessly through the confusing maze.

A series of blood-curdling screeches sounds across a blurred clearing ahead. I dash towards the blare with a gut-wrenching feeling this is where I will encounter him. My pace and presence becomes more swift and frantic as you hasten aggressively towards the midnight meadow.

Tears prick at the corner of swollen (E/C) eyes as I assume the worse possible outcome.

Mere hours beforehand had the Wizard King, Julius Novachrono, been breathing, alive and well, defending the Clover Kingdom valiantly. Before he was brutally struck down by Licht, the Eye of the Midnight Sun's leader, who was revealed to be sharing a vessel with Captain Vangeance . It was a horrifying spectacle as Captain Vangeance features morphed into that of Licht. Removing his decorative mask, a blotched scar outlining the upper-half of his face was revealed then swiftly vanished. His facial structure remained sound, but his irises transformed to a dazzling devious golden, his unruly choppy white hair grew to sheen locks, and crimson marking appeared upon his forehead and temples. But perhaps the most notable change was how his ears pointed to signify the success of his elf-reincarnation.

His following movements were swift and eradicating as he struggled against the talented Wizard King. Julius Novachrono reversed his overwhelming light attack with an equally as powerful time reversal defense spell, sparing his the innocent lives of the Clover Kingdom's citizens. He continued his relentless combat with the light mage, predicting his future attacks and repelling them accordingly. It appeared as though he would prevail triumphant, but quickly was this possibility withdrawn when he forced his own life into jeopardy through his prediction. Protecting the citizens over himself, Julius Novachrono received a light blade through his chest cavity, and collapsed against the debris of the castle.

I witnessed this horrifying affliction after being summoned to royal capital by an emergency alert sent by the Marx Francois, Advisor to the Wizard King. He described how the castle town had suddenly been attacked, and I was supervising the Black Bulls Captain, Yami Sukehiro, at the time as he waited patiently for Captain Vangeance to arrive. Captain Yami expressed his discomfort with the situation and described his suspicions. Upon considering the situation, I eagerly followed the Captain to the capital to verify his suspicions, which were correct.

I wept silently and pleaded relentlessly with the elf-incarnated Captain Vangeance to cease his detrimental actions, but he merely responded that William would slumber for the remainder of eternity. I questioned several more times what he meant by this baffling response, and he replied for me to mind my own business, evade the details. I still persisted, and even though he was preoccupied with his combat against the Wizard King, he managed to land a lethal blow through the connecting tissue of my shoulder and sternum. I writhed in agony at the fatal injury, and for a moment though I saw a gleam of sympathy flash in those devious irises.

The recovery mages were too late to rescue the Wizard King as Yami knelt before Julius, promising to fulfill his final prayer. The royal blue asterisk upon his forehead dissipated, and he appeared to finally release a haggard and suppressed breath.

Licht escaped successfully from the royal capital, leaving a distraught Yami and injured (Y/N) to comprehend the revelation of his plan. I attempted to tend to my sensitive wound with my recovery magic, yet a couldn't muster enough mana to fully sew the gaping laceration. No recovery mages arrived so I decided to close the injury using the old-fashioned method of stitching. No anesthesia, no pain killers, as a stabbed through the skin sewing the bloodied wound shut. It felt as though daggers were buried in my skin when I wrapped a bandage over the closure.