chapter 3 ☺

okay so i had a dedication, but wattpad flipped out and when i logged on again, it was gone? so this chappie is dedicated to summsumm247! :)

I wanna thank people for reading this far, cuz even if it is short chapters u still kept w/ it! Maybe i'll b a bit more encouraged to write if i get a few fans, comments, or maybe a vote or two? just saying.... lol :)  

♥♥♥♥Paige♥♥♥♥

I got out of the car and before I could reach the stairs Jane called me into the family room. The kids were sitting in there too, but I don't think she realized that, because they were staked out behind the couches with Alexandra behind a huge wooden bookcase that held a bazillion little glass ornaments. Mark sat next to her, looking uncomfortable. I could tell that he usually didn't deal with stuff like this. As I noticed Jacob's head peeking up behind Jane, she started talking.  

"So what did you think?" she said in an overly-formal voice.  

"I liked the school, it seems like it would be great to go there." Jacobs jaw dropped, and I saw him duck under the edge of the couch again, probably to tell Matt something. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Alexandra take out a cell phone and start silently pounding away at a text message. It's kind of amazing how oblivious Jane and Mark still are to the fact we had three eavesdroppers in the room. I smile brightly and Jane thinks it's because I liked the school so much. Sadness flashes across her face and she begins,"Well if that's how you feel, we can't stop you from going. But are you COMPLETELY sure that's the right choice?"  

And finally, I said the words that I had been contemplating all day. "I want to go to the academy." Just as I said that Alexandra, who had been crouched down, lost her balance and crashed into the bookcase. It tilted, and crashed down to the ground with a loud boom, preceded by the tinkle of shattering glass. Jane and Mark both turned their heads, jaws down to the ground. Jane promptly shooed me out of the room, slamming the door at my heels, although I could still hear her yelling at Alexandra, and then the twins when she discovered them too. Suddenly, the door was yanked open and the three kids came out, red-faced with shame. They all mumbled sorry to me and headed up to their rooms. Jane and Mark came out, and they were too busy talking to notice me as they walked into Mary's room to check up on her. I walked into mine and Alexandra's room, and she promptly shut and locked her diary. Alexandra looked at me sadly and said, "Jane told us that since we weren't mature enough to wait until later to hear your decision, we weren't allowed to go with you to say goodbye at the school! It's sooooo not fair!"  

"Well you did just destroy an entire bookcase-full of expensive china"  

"Whatever! Still not fair!"  

I sighed and got into my PJs, and lay down in bed. I stared out my window and looked to the sky, just as a shooting star rushed across the sky. I smiled, hoping it was for good luck.  

I was packed and ready on Sunday night, with all traces of me erased from my final foster home. The family gave me sad hugs, with Alexandra leading the somber march to the front door. Before I could step out the door behind the rest of the family, she grabbed one of my shoulders softly. She smiled but it didn't reach her eyes as she said, "Take this," and handed me a little silver locket that I had seen her wearing every day. On the front were beautiful crystal flowers, and when I moved to open it, she grabbed my hand with a bit too much strength.  

"Don't!" she said frantically, "wait until you truly need help, wait until don't have anything left." Then, she gave me a bear hug and ran up the stairs again before I could even say thank you. I walked out the door and sat in the car, waving goodbye to the twins from my place in the back seat, and sat silently as we drove to my new school.