.eighty.

.eighty.

-

"I won't even bother with her as long as you get me on that throne."

-

He left for the palace to visit his mother after having a lengthy talk with the princess about the things that troubled each of them and he felt like there was a connection. They were both suffering. He wanted someone he could never have, and she had lost everything, including the man she loved and wanted to marry. In a way, their lives were very similar. They were both burdened with a deep sadness that felt as though it would never end. Jung felt like he wasn't alone and felt like he had made a friend in her. They promised to meet on the same hill the following months. This time not to spy on the tenth prince and his family, but to spend time with each other.

He arrived at the palace and went to greet his brother Wang Mu first, as it was customary in their country to always greet the king first when in the palace. Jung kneeled in front of him and gave him news from the battle front. But Mu seemed to be absent from all of that. His skin was pallid, there were deep circles under his eyes, and he was a bit jumpy. He'd look around the roomevery few minutes, as if worried that someone was watching them. 

Jung had heard in letters from his mother that Mu was also growing more and more sick with the passing of time. He hardly ever went to the monthly meetings with the nobles because of his skin condition that he could no longer hide. His mother seemed happy that things were strained for the new king and he thought that she would probably want him to sit atop the throne. But Jung was surprised when time passed and she never mentioned anything to him about it. Perhaps, he thought, she had reconciled her differences with So and was arranging for him to be king. But the fourteenth prince doubted it. Queen Yoo seemed to have a special hatred for the fourth prince.

As he entered his mother's quarters, he stopped in his tracks when he saw that she was talking with a man. He wore peasant clothing and his hair was long and disheveled. As they both turned to look at him, Jung felt his heart drop in surprise. It was his older brother Wang Yo, who smirked when he saw his younger brother's reaction. He had a beard now, and looked slightly different. But it was unmistakeable. He was the third prince of Goryeo who was thought to have perished almost two years prior. 

Amused, the third prince asked, "What's the matter Jung-ah? You look like you've seen a ghost."

The fourteenth prince blinked back in surprise, as though thinking that if he blinked enough, his brother would disappear from sight. But he remained quiet and it was his mother who spoke up instead, her voice beaming with pride. "Your brother has been alive this whole time." She explained, letting Jung think that she had also just found out about him being alive that day. Her voice completely changed in demeanor as she then talked about Wang So. "After he attacked him in the forest, your uncle found him and helped him hide out in the forest. He has been in recovery until just a few weeks ago. But he's back, and we will need your help Jung-ah."

Jung cocked an eyebrow at them in question. If his brother needed help, and he knew him well, he knew that it was probably not for something good. "What would you ever need my help for?"

The Queen started with excitement, her eyes beaming with what Jung could only describe as pure joy. "We need you to help us overthrow the king and make Yo the new ruler of our country. If you help us, there is no way we can lose. You are the greatest soldier this kingdom has ever seen." At that, Jung saw from the corner of his eye how Yo rolled his eyes. Sure he wanted his brother's help, but he didn't want to beg him into doing it like his mother was doing. He had other ideas to get him to comply. But that all depended on Jung's answer.