Chapter Forty-Nine

The longest part of the journey was getting to the first Fairy Ring. Because the horses were too large to fit inside the ring, we left them grazing on the soft grasses, and popped through to Shee-Elan alone. The Duchess and I jogged up the road, careful to stay away from the village. Cal made slow circles in the sky above us, flying a bit ahead, and then looping back.

We'd almost reached Fairy Keep when a man's voice called my name.

The impression of four walls, a warm bed, and an aching gut rolled over me. Edlark was awake.

I did my best to block him out and hoped he couldn't tell where I was.

We skirted around the clearing, keeping to the inside edge of the forest. The whole time a part of my mind registered another presence, as if someone was knocking at a door, asking for entry. I ignored the request by fastidiously focusing on memories of Garron and Meara, all of us making cookies or playing outside, until we reached the next Fairy Ring.

The Duchess and I stepped into the stone circle and waited for Cal to join us. He soared onto the ground and strutted into the Fairy Ring, and the duchess sent us through. The psychic knocking lessened standing in the forests of Darag-Leigh, but it didn't disappear entirely. A pang of anxiety went through me. Was I going to be stuck with Edlark's presence forever?

Just get the kids healed. Then you can worry about the Fairy King.

It was my turn to lead, and we reached the walls of the labyrinth within twenty minutes. I called up to Arden's man, who I knew was standing on the catwalk above us. The rustling of the foliage above our heads indicated the guard heard me, and I moved away from the wall several feet.

"You might want to step back, duchess."

She tilted her head in an attempt to see what made the noise, but joined me a safe distance from the wall.

A rope ladder rolled down and hit the grassy ground with a soft thud. I grabbed the sides to stabilize the ladder for the Duchess.

"You go first."

She tried again to see what was happening at the top of the ladder. "They may not welcome me at the top."

"Arden's men aren't like that. Plus, they are familiar with Drostan and the fact you are with me will keep you safe. I mean, they know Arden trusts me, so they'll trust you."

I waited until the Duchess climbed to the top quarter and then began my own ascent. About two-thirds of the way up I caught sight of Cal perched eye-level in a nearby tree.

"You'll join us on the other side, right?"

He extended his wings to their full span and fluffed a little before securing them back to his sides. I had to assume that meant yes.

A hand pulled me through the opening at the top, and I smiled at the young man who'd helped me.

"Is Arden coming, miss?" he asked.

My smile faltered a bit, but I pulled it back up and, with the conviction of wanting something to be so, said, "He will be. He had something to take care of in Adven."

The boy, who didn't appear to be much older than Quinn, nodded. "Do you need any help with the bridge?"

"I think we'll be fine, thank you." The Duchess and I crossed over the courtyard to the house on the nearest catwalk. Cal swooped down over us, making both the Duchess and I duck, and then settled on the railing that surrounded the cupola.

"Are you ready for me to carry you?" I asked him. He blinked at me, so I gently put my arms around him and lifted him off the railing. His heart beat a steady rhythm against my hands.