Chapter Forty-Five

Arden and I arrived outside of Pixie cave a little after noon.

"Open up, General. We're here to talk," Arden called out.

We stood together and waited for the General, or one of his minions, to emerge.

"I hope this goes like you planned," Arden murmured. "We should have made a Plan B."

"It'll be okay. There's no reason the general should detain you. He needs to keep you somewhat happy, after all. He'd be stupid to make you angry."

"Too late. I'm beyond angry. And I won't be okay if you end up stuck here. Or worse."

I squeezed his hand. Our relationship had changed so much over the last few days. How sad it would be to lose it, now that we could finally be together. The memory of Breeju, burnt and dead on the ground, flashed through my mind. "I'm so sorry about Breeju."

"I feel sad her death doesn't upset me more, but in reality she was my wife in name only. I don't think her involvement in the current situation is her fault. That's one of the areas I'd like to address with Murcod."

All of a sudden I realized Breeju might still be lying in the meadow. "What happened to her, following the battle? I mean, where are her remains?"

"I asked Drostan to bring her back to the Fairy home, while I looked after Edlark. Once we're done here, we'll bury her on Shee-Elan. If it's allowed."

I wrapped my arms around his waist in a quick hug. "Thank you."

He kissed the top of my head. "It's the least I could do for her. I'm not proud of how things went between us."

The door to the Pixie dwelling opened and a harsh looking Pixie woman came out. "The general welcomes you."

"Like a snake welcomes a mouse into his den," Arden whispered, but he stepped away and led me to the doorway.

The woman brought us to the chamber where I'd first met with Amena. The General lounged in one of the chairs, a carved stone cup in his hand. He took a sip from it and gestured to us to sit at the table with him.

"You've chosen wisely," he said, a smug smile playing on his thin lips. "And I'll admit, far more quickly than I thought you would."

"Don't assume our presence means your success, General. We're here to talk, not to surrender," Arden said.

"Considering you're in the middle of my home, surrounded by my people, I don't see the difference. But fine then. If we're talking, why don't you take a seat."

Arden remained standing, but I slid into a chair across from him. "What I did to the Pixie Queen was an accident."

"You admit you murdered her?"

"I only protected Edlark from her attack. I didn't mean to hurt her."

"Not an acceptable answer. You must be punished for your crime."

"Punished?" Arden stepped forward. "Without a trial?"

"She admits she killed the Queen. Witnesses saw her wield the magic that killed the Queen. Why is there the need for a trial."

My whole body stiffened at the unfair summation of what had happened in the field. I counted to ten and allowed Arden to take this one. He had diplomacy, I didn't.

"The Pixie-Human compact requires that after there is ill-contact between the two parties, a trial must be held before any punishment is handed down," Arden said.

"The point bears repeating. You are in the middle of my home. Pixies grieving for their slain Queen surround you. There is no reason for a trial."

Arden rounded the table before the Pixie guards defending the door could reach him. He grabbed Murcod by his shirt and half-raised him off his seat.