Chapter Twenty-One

Images of what being Edlark's concubine would mean flashed through my mind, and my skin crawled. It wasn't that he was unattractive. Quite the opposite. But I couldn't imagine handing him my body like some kind of sexual toy.

"Your concubine?" I pushed my chair back from him and the tendril of my hair slid from his fingers. My mouth felt dirty just by saying the word out loud. "Why me? Why your concubine?"

"When I marry it must be a Fairy woman, but there are no rules for concubines. You have power and status in the Realm which will give us Fairies the stability we need. You also are favored by Arden, which would allow our concerns, if they're also your concerns, extra-consideration."

"I think me being your concubine would only piss Arden off."

He crossed his arms as he slouched back in the chair. "That's a bonus."

The whole thing was wrong. "I can't do it."

Edlark shrugged. "It matters not to me. We are in no desperate need, but you do have a very desperate need, don't you?"

The same older Fairy woman who showed me to the library appeared in the doorway. "Excuse me, Your Highness, but the Daragward is here and requests your presence."

"Arden?" I asked. What was he doing here? A blush crept over my cheeks, and I glanced at Edlark. Irritation sharpened the lines of his face.

"Bring him in." Edlark shoved the chair back from the table and went to lean against a bookcase. The woman returned shortly with Arden behind her. He wore the simple tunic, leather pants, and forest-green cape he used for traveling. The moment he saw me his face relaxed, but then he noticed the Fairy dress. He squinted at the fabric, his eyebrows drawn together as if trying to solve the riddle of why I had changed clothing. Edlark didn't greet him, and Arden crossed over to kneel beside my chair.

"Here you are. I- We were worried when you didn't return."

I bit my lip. "I wasn't gone that long, was I?"

"It's after midnight."

"What?" I looked at Edlark. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

Arden pressed his lips together and got to his feet. "What do you mean, wake you up? Does this have to do with that dress?"

"No! Well, actually, yes—but not like that."

His eyebrow lifted in a questioning arc.

"Oh, for pity's sake! I fell asleep after the healer fixed my back. It's a long story. How are Garron and Meara?"

"They're showing signs of moving deeper into the disease," he said, staring pointedly at Edlark.

My stomach plummeted. "What does that mean?"

"It means they are sicker, and we need to get an antidote, soon."

"Hazel and I discussed options," Edlark said, his voice cool. "I believe she's going to think it over."

"She doesn't have time. You know Fairies bit the children. Just give her the antidote."

"I will when she agrees to my terms. I understand my sister has returned to Darag-Leigh. Have you seen your wife yet?"

I was proud of myself. I didn't even flinch at the "w" word. I slid to my feet, taking care to stand away from them both. "Thank you, Edlark, for helping me. Well, saving me. I will consider your offer."

Arden's eyebrows dove into a frown, but I didn't acknowledge him. "We need to go now."

Edlark inclined his head, giving us our leave. Arden gave a curt nod and headed toward the door. I followed, but before I entered the hallway, I turned to face the Fairy King. "You know, you say you're concerned for your people and the future of the Fairy children. I saw you be kind to them. How can you be so caring for them and allow my children to die? What makes your children's lives worth more than mine?"

I walked out of the room, bit the inside of my cheek, and tried to battle the fear I would lose my children. What I really wanted to do was sink onto the floor and cry like a baby. Being strong really sucked.

We let ourselves out into the dark night.

"Will you make a light so we can see our way through the forest?" Arden asked as he led me around the corner of the porch and toward the shadowy figures of the trees lining the clearing.

"Sure." Creating the small orbs of light had become second nature, so I didn't have to concentrate at all, and a little blue ball popped into existence above the palm of my outstretched hand. I didn't know what kind of energy the orbs used to glow, but I did know it wasn't thermal energy, because the orbs didn't get hot and couldn't catch anything on fire. They were safer than a torch when hanging around dried wood, like that around us right now.

Arden led me confidently through the trees. He didn't say anything until we got a decent distance from the house, and then he pulled me to a stop, worry creasing his forhead. "Are you all right? What happened that you needed healing?"

"Something tried to eat me for dinner."

His eyes widened, and then narrowed. "What was it?"

"A Beetak. It drugged me somehow." I squinted as I tried to remember exactly what had happened. "I asked the birds for help. They got Edlark, and he killed it. It's really fuzzy, now."

He gathered me to him and wrapped his arms around me. I instinctively reached to embrace him but froze before I actually hugged him. I wanted to respect his relationship, whatever it was, with Breeju, but his nearness, and the familiar and comforting scent of pine and fresh grass that always accompanied him, ran right over propriety. I folded the arm without the orb around his waist, and pressed my body against his. The connection between us sparked to life, but instead of a raging fire, it ran along my skin like the warmth from a fireplace after being out in the cold.

He lay his cheek against the top of my head, and after a few minutes, he said, "I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'm really happy Edlark was there."

"Me, too." I tipped my face up so I could see him. The expression on his face took my breath away.

"I'm going to ask you something," he said, his voice low and husky.

The fireplace warmth spiked up to furnace levels. I inhaled. "Okay."

"What was Edlark's offer?"

Really? Didn't he know we were having a moment? I let go of his waist. "You don't want to know."

He took my hand and started walking again. The connection between us lit a cozy warmth between our palms. "I really do."

"How sick are the kids now?"

"They are showing signs that the poison is spreading, but at this point the damage could still be reversed."

"Is there any other way we can get them an antidote? I don't know what to do. Queen Amena wants to come live in the Realm. She told me the only way she will give me the antidote is if I get Edlark to agree to let them in. Edlark refuses to let them come over. He said he would heal the kids himself, but only if I become his concubine."

"Concubine!" Arden spun around, dragging me in a half-circle, and stomped toward the house. I ducked under a tree branch and jogged sideways a couple of steps to avoid running into a small grove of saplings.

"Wait!" I dug my heels into the undergrowth and pulled on his hand. I slipped on some wet leaves and dropped the orb, which died with a flash of blue light when it hit the ground. Blinded by the darkness, Arden halted in his tracks.

"I'm not going to do it. At least, not if there's any other way."

"He should never have put you in that position," he growled and I winced at how loud he was. We weren't that far from the house. What if Edlark heard us? Then again, who was I kidding? He'd be pleased Arden was upset.

"I know. But he's not the only one putting me into an awkward position. Both he and Amena are using me, and I've had about enough." The memory of Garron under the covers, so small and tiny in the bed, flashed through my mind. "I just don't know what else to do, though."

Arden squeezed my hand. "It's interesting how Breeju showed up right when this all began."

"Where is she? I saw her right before I went through the Fairy Ring."

"She's at the house. Maybe it's time to have a talk with her."