Chapter Thirty-Nine

Thank goodness for ballet flats, because at the speed Edlark marched me down the stairs and out of the house, I would have fallen off any taller heel. I tried to keep up as he dragged me off the porch and around to the back of the house, but then I tripped over a bigwheel cycle one of the Fairy children had left out and narrowly missed stomping in the middle of Fredrick. I crashed into Edlark's side, and then shoved him away, righting myself in the process. I yanked my hand out of his.

"That's it. I've had enough of this. I'm not going a step farther until you get yourself together and stop being such a jerk."

"You have no right to call me names. You're the one who started the argument."

"You're the one who can't just be a decent Fairy and heal my kids."

We sounded like children, and I didn't care.

He glared at me, but said nothing. Which was bad, because it gave me the opportunity to say more. The anger and heartache from the last several days seethed out in an unrestrained rush.

"You have been rude and ill-tempered with me from the moment we met. You think you're right, and you don't even have all the information." I jabbed my pointer finger at him. "You've only thought of yourself and acted like your Fairies are being hurt by Amena, or Arden, or the world, for that matter. You are not the victim. My children are."

Edlark's expression shifted from disdain to disregard. "Have you ever thought you brought this on yourself? You moved into Darag-Leigh and avoided your responsibility to take an interest to the people and their needs. Your inaction created an opportunity for someone to force your hand, and I'd guess that someone to be Amena. While you don't like my actions, I make the choices I do for my people. I don't need you. We'll be fine without you." He pushed past me, retracing our steps and disappeared around the corner of the house.

What?

Panic flashed through my brain. He couldn't just leave. He did need me. He said so.

Where was he going?

"Oh Fredrick. What have I done?" Frederick's forehead furrowed into a cranky frown, and I didn't get the feeling his displeasure was directed at Edlark. All my self-righteousness washed away on a flood of cold dismay.

Anger was a luxury I couldn't have. No matter how callous the Fairy king appeared to be, and no matter how furious I felt, I had to keep control.

"Wait..." I hurried after him, lifting the hem of the dress up so I could run unimpeded. I slid on the grass as I rounded the corner and grabbed a hold of the porch to prevent a wipe-out. Grass stains on the delicate lace would be a crime.

Edlark stalked across the porch and reached for the door handle. I stumbled up the steps after him. "I'm sorry. Please, stop."

His hand paused, and then he turned toward me with the same imperious expression he'd had the first time I'd met him. "I'm not asking much. I don't expect you to be a full concubine. You can do whatever you do with Arden and, as long as you're discreet, I'll pretend I don't know. But I expect you to carry the illusion of being the Fairy king's concubine. You must be respectful and behave as if you don't hate me in my entirety."

My lips trembled, but I forced myself to talk. "I will, I promise. Please, let's just go." I pulled my face into what felt like a grotesque mask of a smile and hoped it would convince Edlark I was serious. "Everyone's waiting, remember?"

He searched my eyes, his mouth drawn into a frown. "Very well." He crossed to the stairs and stopped beside me at the bottom. "Will you please accompany me to the ceremony?"

I nodded and then did the only thing I could think of that would convince Edlark he had won—I slipped my hand into his.

He tensed and cut his eyes to me. I thought he would drop my hand, but then he exhaled, and his body relaxed. His fingers curled around mine. "Thank you."