Chapter Thirty-Seven

A plaintive mewing of a cat woke me up. I groaned and buried my head under my pillow. "I'm not ready to get up yet, Frederick."

The scent of the sheets invaded my nose—a spicy, woodland smell—and the memory of where I was blew away the warm cocoon of sleep. Frederick wasn't here, because here was on Shee-Elan. I flipped over onto my back, pulled the covers up to my neck, and stared at the Pegasus on the ceiling. Today was the equivalent of my wedding day. I shuddered.

What time was it, anyway? A muffled meow came from outside the window. I pushed the covers back and padded over to see if I could find the source of the noise.

The window slid open without much effort. I craned my head through the opening into the cool morning air and scanned the roof.

My heart skipped a beat. A familiar amber cat picked a path to the edge of the window sill. Frederick had come. I didn't have to face Edlark or endure the ceremony by myself.

I grabbed him up and cuddled him to my chest. Frederick rubbed his head against the underside of my chin, and a deep purr rumbled against my hands.

"Thank you, sweet friend, for coming to be with me," I whispered into the furry top of his head. "Is Arden here, too?"

Frederick stared me down with half-lidded eyes, as if to ask "Am I not good enough?"

"That's not why I'm asking. I hoped he'd found a way out of this mess."

He tilted his head in a skeptical slant—he wasn't buying it. And based on his reaction, Arden hadn't come, either. Maybe it was better that way. I couldn't imagine vowing to marry another man in front of him. It would be torture for us both.

"It was a stupid hope, wasn't it?" I crawled back into bed, pulling the sheet and bedspread to cover my shoulders. Frederick curled into a furry donut against my stomach. I stroked his back and stared across the room without really seeing the other side.

Sleep didn't return, but the desire to remain buried away from the world kept me in bed. As the sun rose higher, the room brightened, brushing nighttime shadows from every corner. A knock at the door finally pulled me from my cocoon.

I pushed a disgruntled Frederick away and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. I hoped it wasn't Edlark. I didn't feel capable of dealing with him right now.

I yanked the door open and scared the Fairy woman waiting outside. She jerked in surprise, making her blond halo of curly hair bounce around the delicate contours of her face. She had porcelain skin and violet eyes, and reminded me of a fragile china teacup.

She dropped a quick curtsy. "Excuse me, miss. I'm to help you prepare for the ceremony. King Edlark bids you good morning and has sent you this dress to wear. May I come in?" She held the dress by the hanger in one hand and ran the other under the skirt so I could see the whole effect. Sky-blue crocheted lace lay over a white lining, suggestive of clouds and sky. Empire waisted and long-sleeved, the skirt hung straight in the front, but gobs of fabric dropped in a train from the back. I'd need help to get the thing on without ripping apart the intricate lace.

"Oh... Yes, I'm sorry." I moved out of the doorway so she could pass.

The woman flitted into the room and lay the dress over the foot of the bed. She took a fraction of a moment to stroke Frederick's head.

"Aren't you a beautiful thing?" she asked. Frederick closed his eyes as her fingers tickled his ears for a few moments and then she hurried on to pull up the covers and smooth the bedspread.

"I'll draw you a bath. You'll need to wash your hair, too." She disappeared into the bathroom, and the sound of running water drifted through the doorway. The woman raised her voice to ensure I could hear her. "I can help you with that, if you'd like."