26

"Tess, where did you run off to?" He asks, his voice very demanding.

Is he scolding me?

"We need to meet up."

"Obviously, do you have a place in mind?"

"Yes," I say, hoping he won't be suspicious.

"Well?"

"Craders Cross."

"The ruined build Craders?"

My patience is running out. "Unless you know of another-"

"Okay, fine. What time?"

"Six p.m.. No sooner, no later. Got it?"

"I do."

"And one more thing," I decide to add in case they are idiots. "Come alone, Kyle."

I'm sure he could sense the threat in my voice. Let's just hope he doesn't chicken out. I pack my riffle in my waistband and the knife in my shoe behind my ankle. I also wear my highly electrifying bracelet in case he is two steps ahead of me. I pack the powder, bullets, rope and basically every other thing I'll need into the boot of my car.

***

Kyle's POV

I just passed the road sign that tells me I'm out of town. My anxiety reached an all-time high and there's nothing I can do but keep going. Carlos had insisted but I had to lay him off for a while.

He wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of Tess and I meeting in an old abandoned building when he already believes she's the one behind all this mess. We cannot be sure just yet. Maybe we're just reading into this wrongly and she's innocent.

Nevertheless, I cannot be too sure. I slow down on the gravel and park my car next to a black one. I get out and feel the back of my waistband for my gun. It was an extra precautionary step I had to take. Slightly encouraged, I walk into the building and take my phone out.

*CARLOS' POV* (drum roll, please!)

"I knew it!" I yell as I shut the door behind me and get into my car. I pull out of the driveway and head for the main road, heading to the address I received on my phone. Seems like my cousin kept trying until he found a backdoor and managed to track down two addresses. One in Hawaii, the other right in town.

Within minutes, I park at Tess' address because he said he was coming here. I bang on the door and when no one answers I move back a bit before throwing myself against the door, leading to it breaking off its hinges and coming apart beneath me. I sprint to what I assume is the bedroom and open it. It was a blank canvas, save for an old case left open and empty in the centre of the bed.

"She's out to get you, man," I mutter as I walk out while trying Kyle's number for the hundredth time.

I didn't see where I was going when I collided with a short person. I was about to apologise when she beat me to it by attempting to kick me in my jewels but I blocked her. She acted fast and gave me a backhanded slap, which confused me for a sec, giving her leverage to jump onto my back and scratch my face, like she's trying to gorge my eyes out with her nails.

I took hold of her legs and lift them up backwards, throwing her off. She landed face first. I then straddled her and pinned her arms down above her head. She continued kicking me but I didn't let that stop me from keeping her tamed.

"You. Idiot!" She yelled fiercely. "Let me go!"

"Who are you?"

"None of your business, now let me go, you're hurting me."

"As if you didn't hurt me," I roll my eyes. I'm wasting precious time.

"I'm a friend of Ka- Tess. I'm a friend of Tess and I came to see if she's around," she said in one breathe, trying to turn around and face me. She managed to turn and now I'm straddling her hips; it looked wrong. It should have been the other way round.

"Where is she? I need to know."

"Why?" She asked. Should I tell her?

"Because it's a life or death situation." That seemed to have set something in her because she stopped struggling to get her hands free and stared at me with a black face.

"Carlos something?"

"How do you know my name?" I asked and she raised her hips. I lost balance and that's when she used her force to push me over.

"Where's Kyle?"

"He's with her."

"Not for long he ain't," she murmured, picking up her phone and rushing out. I reached for mine as well and rushed out behind her.

"Do you have a car?" I asked to which she shook her head and pointed to me.

"But you do, right? Please tell me you have a car?" She practically begged me to say yes.

I point to a red sports car and tell her, "Get in."