15

My insides turn upsides down and I know I have to stop this feeling before I let loose. "Why is she here anyway?"

"We had some things to talk about."

"And she couldn't have come at a better time?" I shrug.

"You do know she lives here, right?" I give him the 'are you kidding me' look. "Her mom is my mom's personal assistant. She's lived here since I was six or so." I just nod my head. "But Leigh-Ann permanently moved here when she turned 16."

"Who did she live with before?"

"Her dad."

"Where is he now?"

He hesitates before answering, glancing at the door. "You're asking too many questions."

"She has a nice room," I say, taking her furniture in. I kinda feel odd sitting in her room when she isn't here.

How many times has he been in her room? And what for? I turn to ask him but get distracted by his goofy smile instead. "What?"

"Nothing," he smiles, his neck and ears turning a light shade of pink. "I just can't believe you're my girl," he whispers with a shy smile and crimson cheeks, his eyes not meeting mine. My face breaks into a smile and I feel myself being swept off my feet.

"Any plans for today?" he asks after a moment of comfortable silence. I shake my head and an idea comes to mind. More like a tug at my heart.

"I'd like to have a word with Leigh-Ann, if you don't mind."

"Right now?" he asks, the concern clear in his voice as he rubbed my arm.

"Yeah. I just wanna talk."

He silently agrees and pulls me towards his chest. I rest my head in the crook of his neck and inhale his scent once more. After a while, he takes my hand and leads me towards the patio where Leigh-Ann is sitting alone with a novel in hand. She turns towards us and smiles. Same with Miranda, if that's a fake smile, it looks really convincing.

"Do I have to change my bed sheets?" she groans, a small smile following seconds after.

Leigh-Ann's POV

Tess is really admirable, no doubt someone like Kyle would be interested in her. I'll admit it was nice talking to him before she showed up. She showed up at the right time. I almost feel bad I kissed her boyfriend.

In my defense, I didn't know he even had a girlfriend. And if he did, why did he kiss me first and kiss me again when I kissed him the second time around? I fall back into my book and continue reading.

She's adorable. That's what I'd said. And she'd said thanks. I forget sometimes. Two parents complimenting each other on their respective progeny, commuter small talk, nothing to it.

I hear footsteps and look up from my book to face them. I wonder what drama she'll start this time. I give them my most friendly smile and wait for either one of them to start talking.

Upon noticing the brief silence, a thought crosses my mind and I blurt out, "Do I have to change my bed sheets?"

Tess looks up at me and narrows her eyes. Her hair falls on her shoulders freely and I tie mine in a messy bun; hopefully it doesn't look like a witch from Azabak.

I hate her perfect hair.

"Can you excuse us?" she asks Kyle.

He leans in and whispers something in her ear before nodding at me and leaving. I point at the chair across mine and watch her sit. She leans her elbows on her knees, waiting for me to give her my attention.

"Your boyfriend is truly cute, don't you agree?"

"Thanks," she says, eyebrows creased. "I forget sometimes."

I just give her that 'I'm waiting' look. She leans back in her seat and takes a look around the place. I know what's going on in her mind and right now, I'm just waiting for her to initiate the conversation.

 I know what's going on in her mind and right now, I'm just waiting for her to initiate the conversation

I look into my book again and pick up where I left of. I silently read the ending paragraph of chapter thirty-two of the book Derailed.

Nothing at all. I forget sometimes. Because maybe that was an easy thing to do, to forget something you didn't actually have.

I look up and our eyes meet. She looks at me with a knowing look, almost as if she knows what I just read. I forget sometimes. Why did she say that? Does that mean she didn't actually-

The microwave chimes and I exhale loudly, grateful for the disruption of our heart-to-heart conversation. I take the popcorn out and drizzle it with caramel and chocolate syrup before heading out. I put the bowl on the table between us and sit back on the chair I was in directly opposite her. She's staring at a green knitted pillow case.

"You like?" I ask and she nods a little, giving me a small forced smile. She then points to the cases on all the other cushions.

"You made this?" I just nod, studying her face for any hint I that could slip past me.

I'm expecting a rude comment from her but all she does is nod again. "It's lovely."

Wait, hold up. Play that back. Did she just compliment me?

"Um, thanks, I guess? Do you knit?"

"Nope, just when I was a kid. Lost interest as I grew older. I don't get the point of going on if I made something I like, you know?"

"I can actually relate-"

"You just end up causing unnecessary mistakes if you dare go on," she says slowly, staring me in the eye. It's almost like she's telling me something. A chill runs down my spine and I shrug the feeling off as I reach for the bowl.

"Care to have some?"

Tess' POV

I look at the surroundings and smile to myself. The kitchen is close to the living room and the patio is just outside the living room. There were paintings and antics all over the house, or as far as I saw since I've been here.

"Lovely place," I comment.

"I'll be sure to tell my mom that, thank you."

"Don't mention it."

"I see why Kyle likes you," she says, staring at my hair. I narrow my eyes and tug a strand behind my ear.

"And why do you say that?"

"Take a look at you. You're a challenge, a thrill. You're exciting," she grins.

"Well, in his and our defense, he doesn't have bad taste," I admit, touching her blond hair lightly, letting it fall though my fingers as I enjoy the feel of it. I like where this is headed to.