Chapter 7

By the time the police arrive at the hotel, Ashton is gone. The search begins, but throughout the night, they don't find a single thing. There are no tracks, hints, or even proof that he was actually here. They hadn't gotten him on camera either.

Michael's shoulder still aches from Ashton biting down on it. He tries to ignore the pain, as he stares out the window at the passing scenery. Giant, gloomy trees line the dirt path that leads to the mental facility. The area owns a sort of sadness to it, yet it's also quite frightening. The dark skies loom overhead, a storm already in the way.

Calum watches out the back window for any sign of Ashton. There is nothing but the rain and mud. Calum has a gut feeling that he didn't follow them, but he doesn't say anything to Michael or Luke about it. He just stays quiet and keeps looking out.

"Why are you slowing down?" Michael asks as Luke starts driving slower.

"The roads- they aren't all that safe with this kind of rain," Luke talks about the heavy shower. The dirt roads are starting to become slippery with mud.

Luke focuses on the road, but it is disrupted by the sight of a deer in front of the headlights. It comes so close to being hit, but Luke jerks the steering wheel, and the car goes tumbling down the side of the hill.

It finally halts over the creek. Calum is breathing hard, clinging to the back of Michael's seat. Michael is wide-eyed, staring at the large branch that had plunged through the windshield. Luke gulps and asks, "Are you guys alright?"

"Y-yeah," Calum answers, and Michael slowly nods.

"Well, there's no way we're getting this back uphill. I guess we're going to have to walk the rest of the way there," Luke unbuckles his seatbelt.

"But Ashton... We don't know if he's out there," Michael finally breaks his stare on the windshield.

"He's not," Calum states.

"How do you know?"

"I just- I know. I can feel it. Ashton isn't following us."

The three boys end up walking in the pouring rain, to the institution. Luke stated that they'll wait to see if Ashton does follow them or not.

The rain beats down hard, soaking Ashton's clothes. Anger builds up in him and he grinds down his teeth. Those demons killed his best friends. So, he'll take revenge and kill them. He's just having trouble finding them.

Ashton hears a voice somewhat behind him, "Ashton! There you are! Ashton!"

Ashton turns to see Calum. Normal Calum. Ashton let's out a laugh of relief, and starts toward him. Calum is just standing there, calling out to Ashton.

When Ashton reaches him, he outstretches his arms, "Calum!"

He tries to hug him, but Calum is faded at his touch, then gone. Damn hillucinations, Ashton thinks to himself, and grumbles. Of course that wouldn't be real! The real Luke, Calum, and Michael don't exist anymore.

Ashton shivers as the cold rain soaks his clothing. It's rather cold out. He's hungry, freezing, and tired of walking from his search. Ashton needs someplace to go. Home.

Ashton has the longest walk of his life, but it's worth it. His house comes into view, but his mother's car is gone. His lip quivers. It would have been nice to come home to her too. He moves on to the front porch. Surprisingly, the front door is unlocked. He smiles slightly, and goes inside. He switches all the lights on, and slowly makes his way up the stairs. His room is exactly how it was before he was sent to the institution. A messy bed, and everything else picked up.

Ashton pulls out a clean T-shirt and a pair of sweats. He changes out of the filthy, wet jumpsuit and into the dry clothes. They're larger on him, because of how much weight he lost.

He collapses on the couch down stairs, and starts talking to himself.

"I need a plan, before I can go after them. Jeez, I haven't hardly thought about this!" Ashton says to himself, while staring up at the ceiling. He'll need a weapon. He eyes the entrance to the kitchen. Darkness flows from it, but Ashton starts towards it anyway. He flicks in the lights, and tries to remember what drawer it is.

Ashton finds the right drawer, and pulls out the biggest and sharpest knife he can find. He grips the smooth black handle in his hand, and looks at his reflection in the blade. He sees the demonic Ashton. He quickly looks away from it. Something is nagging at him, about those demons.

"Why are they running away?" Ashton whispers to himself.