A War Within (A sequel to 'The Way That Things Are'): Chapter 6

*RECAP*

"We'll be with the Cotrell party," she responded. "Well at least she will." Kiah pointed to me. 

"Cotrell?" I asked. "You mean to tell me that Brandon is here?! You set me up!" I said 

"I sure did," she laughed at my anger. "And girl hush, don't act like you didn't want to see him!" she messed with my curls. 

"I don't." I crossed my arms. 

"Whatever," she smiled. "Just get in there and have dinner. You two need to kiss and makeup, and get over it. It's in the past, now this is the future." she said

"But-" 

"No buts!!" Kiah yelled. "Now get in there and talk to your man, you know that you miss him." she said knowing exactly what was on my mind.

"Okay, just let me show you were you'll be located for tonight." the waitress said. "Follow me." she said as I looked back at Kiah.

"Go ahead, I'll be here to pick you up in a hour." she smiled. I followed the waitress to the table where Brandon was sitting along with Malcom. 

"Oh brother." I said under my breath as I walked to the table. 

"And this is where you'll be seated." the waitress smiled.

"Thank you." I reached into my clutch pulling out a ten dollar bill and handing it to her. She thanked me and walked away. Brandon stared at my appearance.

"Well, I'm gonna leave now, and let you two kids talk." he said getting up from the table. I sat down across from Brandon, and looked into his eyes.

************************************************************************************************************

*Continued* 

 It had been five long minutes of total silence and awkward eye contact.  We had never been this quiet with each other, we always had something to talk about. I looked at him, wanting to find something to say, but to honest I had nothing. Nothing at all. I sighed in frustration.

"Maybe this was a bad idea." I sighed.

"It was." he said as if he was angered.

"I'm just gonna leave." I said to him.

"See you around." Brandon tightened his jaw, and pulled at his tie. I smiled through my pain and picked up my clutch.

"Bye." I left the table and walked out of the entrance of the restaurant. I stepped out on the side of the restaurant and pulled my phone out of my clutch. 

"Hey," I said as Kiah answered the phone. "I think that I'm done here." I said as I looked around myself for Brandon. He was no where in sight. 

"What do you mean you're done?"  she asked. "Are you saying that you think you two are done, forever?" she asked as if she were saddened by my words. 

"Yeah," I looked at the ring on my finger. "I think we're done." I took the ring off and threw in into my clutch.

"I'll be there in a second." she sighed. 

"See you in a sec." I said weakly. 

"Okay." she said as she hung up the phone. I sat down on a bench on the side of the restaurant. I placed my head in my hands, as my hair fell around my face. I heard a car alarm unlock a door that sat five cars down from me. Brandon walked out of the restaurant, getting into the truck, and driving out of the parking lot. I watched him drive away, until I couldn't see his truck anymore. Three minutes later Kiah pulled up with Imani sitting in the back seat, asleep.