Chapter 29

“Amy?”

“Hello? Who’s there?”

Silence pressed around me, chocking my nose and mouth until my heart began to beat in fright. The voice had sounded faint and far away but that didn’t make the darkness any less terrifying.

“Amy?”

I jumped around, attempting to locate the source of this disembodied voice that appeared to be getting louder. I could not contain my anxiety upon realising that I could not hear any sort of footsteps upon the strange floor I was currently stood upon.

“Is that really you?”

“Who are you?” I demanded, my voice squeaking against my will.

“Amy?”

Clutching my throbbing temples, I sank down to the floor and began to rock. That voice, it sounded so familiar and yet I couldn’t place it.

“I can’t believe it’s actually you. I’ve been so scared.”

This made me pause and rise my head up again.

“What do you mean?”

Another pause.

“I didn’t know what would happen but I at least expected nothing, not just… nothing.”

I could only just understand what the voice meant. It appeared we were in a room full of nothing. Except each other of course.

“Who are you?”

“No.”

“What?” I stuttered, stunned at the ferocity of the word.

“The question you should be asking is ‘who am I?’”

I nodded, “that makes sense. Oh wait, no it doesn’t.”

The voice thought slowly, stretching the darkness into more silence. “You really don’t know who I am?”

I shook my head.

“But can’t you feel me? I can feel you.”

Jumping backwards I searched for the hand I expected to find upon my body, “of course not.”

“You’re inside me, or it’s the other way around. I’m not quite sure how this works.”

“Will you just tell me who you are?”

“It’s me Amy, it’s Hope.”

I stood in shock as thoughts went launching into my brain and straight out again. Nothing seemed to stick.

“But how? I don’t, I don’t understand.”

“And you think I do? As I said before, after I broke my spell I expected to, well, die but I ended up here. I was so cold and afraid but then I began to feel a presence and soon after you appeared.”

“So I’m dead too?”

“I don’t think so. At least, I don’t feel dead, do you?”

“Not really. What’s going on then?”

“You are seriously asking the wrong person here. I know as much as you.”

“Of course but surely you’ve had time to think here?”

“Don’t call me Shirley.”

“What?”

“Never mind.”