Chapter 6

“Breakfast’s ready,” a sing-song voice woke me abruptly.

Rubbing my eyes, I looked around the room I was in. Remembering what had happened last night, I looked at the frame on the table once more. The evidence was still there.

Getting out of bed was one of the hardest things I’d ever done. I was still so tired and aching all over, yet I knew the quicker I ate food, the sooner I would be able to search for my friends.

Plastering a smile onto my face, I pulled open the door and walked towards the kitchen. I could feel my hands shaking as I turned the corner into the dining room.

What I saw sent an unexpected gasp tumbling from my lips.

I had always known Terran’s were poor, we were reminded about their status at the bottom nearly every day, but until I entered that room I had never realised how different their lives were because of it.

Back home we had a Terran cook called Mabel who would make our three course meals. Dinners had always been a big thing in my house. Mother had viewed it as bonding time for the family. We would talk about ourselves and how our day had gone. The three of us- Summer, Calum and I- would sit on our eight person table to chat, eat and laugh together.

I was unsure of how long I had been standing and staring, but quickly realised I wasn’t the only one. The three residents of the room were also staring, although, unlike me their gazes weren’t locked on the food.

Feeling exposed, standing in their line of sight, I moved to sit on the remaining empty seat. Everyone flinched as I lowered myself into it.

Settling my wings over the chair, I realised it was especially made for an Angelica. It had a low back for my wings to rest over and the legs were slightly higher than the others so they didn’t trail along the floor.

It had obviously been made for Lacey once she got her wings.

“Thank you for letting me stay overnight,” I thanked the mother genuinely.

“That’s quite alright. Melody, would you please get… ummm… I’m sorry dear but I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure of knowing your name,” the mother noticed.

“Amethyst,” I told them, “my name is Amethyst.”

“To match your eyes, I do believe. Your mother chose a very apt name,” she smiled at me. “My name is Kathryn, but do call me Kath. This is my husband, John and my daughter Melody.”

I nodded to each of them as she gestured around the table. Their names suited them, I decided.

“Melody,” Kath turned to the left to face her daughter, “please get Amethyst a glass of water.”

As Melody got up and walked to the kitchen, I decided to look at the supplements meant to be a cooked breakfast. I was surprised when I saw that one of the bowls appeared to be glaring back at me. The brown gloop was full of eyes and lumps of meat.

“That’s left-over’s from John’s hunt yesterday,” Kath explained warmly.

I looked at Kath blankly, having no idea what animals they hunted. Most Angelica’s were strict vegetarian but I loved some bacon from time to time. These left over’s did not look like bacon.

“Today is squirrel,” John muttered deeply as he stabbed one of the eye’s on his plate.

I was almost sick right then and there. I had owned a squirrel when I was younger, called Suzy. They were a pet loved by all.

“I’m a vegetarian,” I told Kath nervously, unsure how they would respond to this piece of news.

“Oh that’s ok, so is Melody,” Kath nodded towards the girl as she sat back down and handed me some water.