MILES ~ Busy

"Do you know what it means to come home at night to a woman who'll give you a little love, a little affection, a little tenderness? It means you're in the wrong house, that's what it means." ~Unknown

"Everything okay, son?" My dad asked as we waited for the game to start. Dizzy and I were sitting on the couch, while dad reclined in his favorite chair. Monday night football was a tradition in our household. Mom would cook up a bunch of snacks and the four of us would watch together. Naomi used to come too, but lately, she was always too busy.

 "Yeah, dad, everything is great!" I lied, hoping he couldn't tell.

 "Dizzy, go see if your mom needs help." Guess he didn't fall for it.

 "But I want to hear!" My little brother whined as if he were still a child. I couldn't help but smile.

 "Boy, if you don't..."

 "Really, dad, I'm good." I laughed. "Besides, he's just going to listen outside the door anyway, like he did when he was little."

"True." Dizzy agreed.

“You sure?” My dad asked skeptically.

“I’m positive.” I assured him. “You know that I’ll come to you when I need to talk.” I had the best dad in the world, and I tried to benefit from his wisdom as much as possible. He was a handsome man even in his sixties. He was six feet, two inches tall, with curly black and gray hair and smoky gray eyes. Both of my parents were mixed. My dad's father was Swedish and my mom's mother was Norwegian. Dizzy and I both had fair skin. He looked more like our mother with his brown eyes and silky hair. I looked like dad with my curly, somewhat kinky hair. The only things that stopped me from looking completely African American were the striking blue eyes that I'd inherited from my grandfather.

“Go check on your mother, son. I need to talk to your brother.”

“But I thought we just…” Dizzy began.

“Actually, I was talking to Miles.” Dad clarified. I thought it was more about me talking to mom than dad talking to Dizzy, but my brother suddenly got nervous.

“I can go check on mom. Yeah, I’m sure she could use my help.” Dizzy quickly stood.

“Sit down.” Dad said firmly. Dizzy quickly sat. I fought the urge not to make fun of him; I was grown now. I did, however, laugh on my way to the kitchen. My mom was standing at the counter putting the wings in her special hot sauce. She made the best hot wings in the world! If she’d let me bottle it, we could make millions.

“Hey pretty lady.” I walked over and gave her a hug.

“Hey baby.” She smiled. My mom was tall, petite and beautiful. Dad always said he fell in love with her the moment he laid eyes on her. Standing five foot eight, mom could have been a model. Her long black hair only had a few streaks of gray and she had the warmest brown eyes you’d ever see.

“Need some help, mama?” I’ll admit that I was a mama’s boy. My mom was one of my best friends.

“No, I got it. I really wished you’d start bringing Naomi more. I’m tired of being the only girl in the room.” She laughed.

“I’ll try to get her to come next time.” I promised. I leaned against the counter and watched her work like I used to when I was little. That kitchen held so many memories.

“Do you want to talk about it?” She asked.

“Talk about what?”

“Whatever is bothering you?”