chapter 20

"I came back looking for you, you know."

"What?"

"I came back the next year. I went to the same place. I never saw you."

"Devon, forget about it. Things aren't the same. They will never be the same! It was once. It meant nothing."

Ryan walked out of the room with a towel around his waist.

"Hey, what's going on? You were yelling at each other." He said.

"Tell him." Devon said.

I took a deep breath.

"Ok, well, Devon and I know each other."

"Really? How? You guys acted like you just met."

"Oh god, how do I put this? Um well, a few years ago.. we er hooked up."

His facial expression quickly changed. He looked upset.

"It meant nothing though!" I added, quickly.

"When did this happen?"

"You remember my freshman year at the university, when I went to New York for spring break?" Devon said.

"It was four years ago. Let it go, Ryan, please." I said.

"Fine."

"Thank you." I said to him.

I walked back into the bedroom. Ryan followed me.

"Hey, um I have to leave tonight." He said.

"Is it because the whole Devon thing?"

"No, no, not at all. It doesn't even bother me that much. But I just kinda wanna bring Devon back home... he's annoying. And I need to get all my things. I'll be back in a few days though."

"Alright. Well when's your flight?"

"It's at nine."

 I made a pouty face.

"You can't stay longer?"

"It will just be two days. You won't have to wait too long." 

"Fine."

We spent the rest of the day together, but the fact that Devon was with us made things really awkward. I could tell that Ryan was pretty irritated with him. He acted like he was in high school. He wasn't very mature. 

"Don't leave me." I said, as we stood outside JFK Airport.

"I have to. I told you I'd be back soon."

"I don't want to sleep alone. It's so creepy there. There isn't even any furniture."

"You'll be fine. I have to go. I love you."

I sighed.

"I love you too."

He picked me up and spun me around. I laughed and kissed him. For a moment, it felt like we were alone again. Then we realized Devon was watching us and things got awkward again. 

When I got home, I curled up in bed, er the mattresss. I walked into the room and I saw that Ryan left one of his shirts. I picked it up. It smelled like him. I put it down and looked around the room. Oh crap, I forgot to get blankets again. Great, it was cold too. I packed a few things and went to my dad's place. I wonder if my room is still there. Probably. I mean, the last I visited was over the winter, for a couple days, but that was it. 

After catching up with my dad, I went back to where my old room used to be. I walked in and everything was exactly how it was before I left it. I smiled.