🎭𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐙𝐎𝐏𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐀🎭

𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐏𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡, 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐚
𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐅𝐞𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟑𝐫𝐝

📍 𝐖𝐏𝐁 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡

I  looked to my right as I felt the wind lightly smack me across the face. "Sweetie, you know you'll have to make friends sometime.. right? Maybe even tell them your secret."  I began to observe my surroundings, turning my head slowly but casually so I didn't alert anyone in the classroom. "They said you aren't real, go away mom." I said with a slight attitude. She scoffed and disappeared by the second.

I ran my hands down my face and slouched down on my chair. Highschool, am I right? I wanted to continue being homeschooled, but my father suggested I 'challenge myself'.

He has hope that I can become normal and be like everybody else, when in reality there is no hope. I can't help the fact that I'm different, and he certainly cannot either. He tries his best though— when he doesn't have Hennessy or liquor falling out of his mouth and onto his shirt.

"You okay, Adrianne?"

I recognized the familiar voice and let go of my face only because I knew they wouldn't give up. "I'm fine Isis, thanks." I faked a smile for her. "Remember what your father said!" She cooed in my ear. I nodded as I moved away from her.

It was a mistake for me to tell her about my condition. I've known Isis since the third grade, we've been raised together and all but she's practically obsessed with me. It's like I amaze her or something, she always wants to know what I'm up to or 'imagining' as she says. My dad tells me that's just what people who love you does, but I wouldn't know. "They check up on ya y'know, make sure you're doing good. They not tryna be nosey, honey." I recalled his exact statement when I made the complaint to him.

I sighed when the bell rang, indicating that it was time for science. It was the worst subject for me. I was a bit bias because I was schizophrenic and couldn't understand why I wasn't made correctly. What went wrong?

I couldn't do anything right from the jump, huh.

I swiftly jumped out of my seat and escaped Isis as quickly as possible, running out the door and towards the nearest stairwell.

I squeezed through the tight hallway and into the classroom, trying to hide from the teacher.

She asked me to personally to write an essay on mutations since I was already failing. Of course I didn't do it, so she extended my time.

"Adrianne, not so fast!" I heard her firm voice say. I turned around in shame, "Yes, Mrs. John?"

"I understand you're having a hard time with learning, so I'll give you by the end of the semester to give in the essay. Don't disappoint me, and please ask me if you're having any trouble."

"Alright, thank—"

"Never mind, Stokeley!" She called as she looked passed me. I turned around with a confused look, meeting with the 5 ft 7 caramel skin boy with tattoos all over his body. "Yes, Mrs?"

Stokeley was known as the badass of the school. He was fairly handsome, but seen as dangerous. He was a genuine sweetheart that would only cause hell if he had to. We had a couple of conversations before since he lives next door to me, and I found out he was really nice and goofy. Isis is convinced I got a crush on either him or Jahseh.

Jahseh is Stokeley's best friend, known as 'X' or 'Cruella de Vil' because of his half blonde half black dreads hairstyle. I think it's cool, it's different. People believe we act alike but it's false. We're only 'alike' because we keep to ourselves and talk to at least one person.

If anything, I'd want to protect them from me. Who wants to be seen with someone who has cognitive difficulties? I would only slow them down since they're much more aware of reality.

"You're my top student, would you please help Adrianne with the lesson on your own free time? I'll give you all the extra credit you need, I'm really looking forward to all of you passing.." She practically begged him as if I had the word 'Retarded' tatted on my forehead.

Embarrassing as fuck, I thought. "He thinks you're dumb." A voice in my head says. "Adri got a tutor, Adri got a crush!" says another teasingly.

I try to shake it out of my thoughts when his hand was put in front of me, waiting to be shook. I slowly pulled my hand out and shook his.

He gave me a warm smile and said, "Hi, my name's Stokeley not that you didn't already know that." I returned the smile, "Hi Stokeley, it's nice to meet you. Adrianne but most call me Adri." I greeted him as if we never met. "Perfect! Looks like you guys know each other, so have fun with it." Mrs. John says as she walked away. He nodded while we laughed at ourselves, heading to the back of class where the both of us sat along with Jahseh.

"You need help with mutations and the whole process thingy right?" He asked me.

The rustiness of his voice made me jump a little but I did it as steadily as I could. "Mhm," I hummed softly. "Oouu, he's cute baby!" I shifted to my left as I seen my mother's appearance. I knew not to say anything because the both of them would think I'm insane.  It was hard to ignore but I got through it eventually.

The rest of the school day went by quickly. Lunch came by and I got myself some Wendy's since we could leave the school for food.

I was now walking home with Isis since she didn't live far. "So we just gon' ignore Stokeley fine ass across the street?" She teased. I felt like rolling my eyes but was too tired to do so, so I let out a low sigh. "What about him?" I asked. I thought back on the essay I owed and a wave of stress damn near slapped me in the back of the head. "When you gonna admit that you like him sis? I mean, I seen y'all talking when I passed by Mrs. Johns room to go to the bathroom." She says.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "So because we were talking, I like him? Hm, so you like Gustavo?"

Gustavo was this guy she always argued with. They didn't get along at all and I knew she didn't but I was irritated so for her to even assume I liked him annoyed me. "Are you stupid? No," she cocked her head back in disgust. "Exactly my point." "Doesn't count." She argued.

"I'll see you later!" I semi-yelled as I walked up my driveway.

𝐈'𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐝𝐝𝐝