Chapter 14: Take a Chance

The sky was a beautiful mix of cloud and sun as I sat with my legs crossed on the soft grass. In front of me sat whisper, his legs crossed similar to mine. He stared at me similar to the way I stared at him. We were testing each other, challenging one another to show some signs of evil, of deceit, of anger, so we sat there. Staring at each other.

"What's wrong with Jack?" I asked breaking the silence that surrounded us.

Whisper tilted his head sideways, "He's not Jack anymore," he responded.

"He'll always be Jack," I responded shaking my head, "he'll always be Jack. Even if on some days we can't see him for who he is, he will always be Jack."

"Diana, I'm not sure you understand the danger your in," Whisper confessed.

I rolled my eyes a little, "Sure, cause when I jumped through a magic wardrobe to a magical world I thought it would be totally safe."

"Diana, I urge you to go back the way you came," he said lowering the tone of his voice, "it's not safe for you here."

"Would you quit talking in riddles?" I groaned rubbing my temples.

"Jack is gone. He's slipping away. Soon, there will be no more Jack, just Arlow, and trust me ... you don't want to meet Arlow," he warned, "he's heartless. A merciless killer, a man without restraints. Worst of all ... he'll become one of the strongest, all-knowing beings in Alexandria. Diana, you aren't safe here. You must go."

I sucked in a breath and shook my head, "No."

"No?"

"No," I confirmed rising to my feet and dusting off my pants, "I understand that Jack may lose himself and stop being what makes him what he is, but ... I have to be there to give him the chance to try."

I began to walk away, but Whisper reappeared in front of me blocking my path, "Diana, I'm begging you," he choked.

"Are you gonna stop me?" I asked with my arms crossed over my chest.

He didn't say a word, "That's what I thought ..." I muttered as I walked around him, "thanks for the advice, but I'll take my chances."

I walked back down the path swinging the basket as I went. I thought about Jack, and ways I could help him. I knew that it was pointless for me to think that I could prevent someone with his abilities, but this was Jack we were talking about. How could I not save him?

When I got back to the farm, I found Jack sitting on the steps. I smiled and waved at him from afar, and was delighted when he repeated my actions. I set the berries down next to him. He clapped his hands for me, and I faked a bow.

"Are you ok?" I asked Jack as Allioni exited the house.

"I think so. When I got back here, it just ... stopped," he explained looking down at his hands. I put my hand in his and gave it a little squeeze. He gave me a tight-lipped smile.

"I see you've brought back the berries," Allioni remarked walking off towards the green opening.

I followed him after giving Jack an encouraging smile, "Hey, Allioni," I called when we got out of earshot of Jack.

"Yes," he responded monotonously.

"Do you know what's wrong with Jack?" I asked, "I mean, what happened today looked pretty serious, and I'm really concerned."

"I suppose that the side of him that is Arlow is somehow being triggered out of him," he shrugged.

"Well isn't the ring supposed to prevent that?" I asked.

"I suppose the trigger here in Alexandria is a much stronger power than the ring," he said.

Could that be true? Was what whisper be messing with me? Could I help Jack fight it? I couldn't stop to think about those things. I had begun to come to terms with the fact that my time with Jack was limited.

"Hey, Allioni!" Jack called, "What are we gonna do with these berries?"

"You can eat from one basket. Tomorrow I will head into town to get bread so that we can have bread and jam," Allioni responded pointing one finger in the air, "but, I would advise you don't eat too many-"

Allioni couldn't even finish his sentence before Jack began to devour the berries. I rushed to the house before he could finish it all, while Allioni took his time walking over to us. I sat beside Jack as Allioni went straight inside.

"Do you think that Allioni ever gets tired of us?" I queried picking up a berry.

Jack smiled and shook his head, "Nah, I think he sees me as a test subject," he joked.

I laughed and looked at the sky as the sun went down. I smiled as it turned a dark tinted blued and the clouds looked like frothy waves in the ocean.

"Jack," I said, "what was it like for you here, in Alexandria."

He sucked in a breath, "It was strange. My parents, they were ... well ... thieves. They stole from everyone men, women, children, the elderly ... anyone who had what they wanted was a target. They once stole from this old witch, and in order for her to spare them, they gave me to her," he confessed in a low voice.

"Oh, Jack, I'm so sorry," I apologized, "how does that make you feel?"

He shook his head, "I don't know. I think now, I don't see them as my parents. I mean, that witch taught me how to be a sorcerer. She saw something in me that I had never seen before. She said I had a gift. Even though my parents were here, I always felt like my real parents were my earth parents."

I was about to give him some words of encouragement, but I was interrupted when Allioni suddenly appeared before us. He stared down at us as though we were about to be reprimanded.

"Wow Allioni," I remarked nodding my head, "you've figured out how to use your powers here?"

He looked around in shock before answering, "It appears I have," he responded, "but ... I don't know how."

What are your thoughts on whisper?