22 | Inseparable

I would give it all

Just to show you I'm in love

unedited.

Chapter Twenty Two | Inseparable

I lowered myself onto the corner of my bed and sighed in frustration when I caught a glimpse at the mess of papers scattered all over my bed. I had been meaning to get to my homework, but with all the unbelievable drama lately, I fell behind. Because of my dyslexia, my teachers - by default - had to assign me easier work than the rest of my peers, granted that I had a tutor helping me improve my skills. The tutor I had currently hated me ... so I had to go back to square one.

I wasn't at all bothered by the fact that I'd probably never make it to college, because I've already accepted the fact that I won't be that lucky. As of the moment, my sole purpose was to graduate high school and see where I can go from there.

The status of my grades also had to do with the many distractions I was facing. Most importantly, I had to deal with knowing my best friend was a traitor-slash-pervert-slash-creep. I haven't talked to Adam since I confronted him and I don't plan to, despite his many text messages and missed calls.

I still had to deal with my dad's wedding and the proposal to be a bridesmaid, keeping things good with Jack, and finding ways to get West off my mind.

Since our encounter yesterday, I've been on edge. I was relieved when I found out he went to Brown University, but now he was back and I had no idea why. Surely, he should've forgotten about me by now considering how quickly he forgot about me when he cheated on me.

West Aldrich was back to haunt me, after I had spent so much time pushing him out of my life.

"Hello?" Henri's voice echoed in my ears, making me snap back to reality.

"Oh, sorry," I apologized into the phone pressed to my ear. "I was just thinking."

Henri and I grew an unbelievable bond in the matter of days, and we found ourselves talking twenty-four/seven. He was the only person I could actually trust, with the exception of Jack who was too cool to own a cell phone. With his financial situation, I didn't expect him to.

"Thinking about that cute boy with the amazing teeth?" Henri mused and I didn't need to see him to know he was smiling like a little kid who just stole a cookie from the cookie jar.

"No, Henri," I said sternly. The whole car ride home Henri had questioned me about West, but I didn't tell him much because I didn't want to open old wounds. And because he didn't know the real reason behind my relationship with West, Henri insisted that I liked him - which wasn't exactly the case.

West brought mischief with him everywhere he went, and I knew he was here for something.

Henri let out a long sigh. "Whatever. I'm going to the lake this weekend since we're off on Monday. My mom wants a family getaway before the wedding. You know, a de-stressor. Do you want to come with?"

I thought about it for a moment and almost said yes just because Henri asked, but stopped myself. "With your mom?"

"And our dad," he added.

"Henri..."

"I know you might feel uncomfortable, but I promise my mom isn't a witch. She's really nice and she talks about meeting you all the time. Maybe you should give it a try."

I glanced down at my hands as I picked at my fingernails. "It's not about your mom, Henri. I just don't want to see my dad with anyone else."

"I understand. But if you change your mind, we're leaving at six so you can always meet us at my place. It might help you get away from all that drama. Just a little food for thought and besides, I'll be there so you're guaranteed to have a good time."