06 | Got Me Going Crazy

You got me going crazy 

Knock me off my feet 

unedited.

✝ Chapter Six | Got Me Going Crazy 

          I was ten years old when I met Adam Krueger.

          Everyone envied him because he was the first one in our fifth grade class to get Heely’s.

        Before then, nobody knew who he was or even cared who he was. He was always that shy kid that sat in the corner and never spoke.

         He ran into me one day because he couldn’t control the speed he was going and I got mad, but that didn’t last long because I was gawking at his Heely’s. He was labelled the cool guy and who wouldn’t want to be friends with the cool guy?

          It was like fifth grade all over again when I walked through the front doors, my hand interlocked with his. I tried my best to maintain my composure but it was awfully hard considering Adam’s hands were practically pouring buckets of water.

       In almost a blink of an eye, the chess nerds rushed over to us and began conversing with Adam. I ripped my hand away from his and wiped away the sweat on my jeans. While I stood there waiting for Adam to finish talking, my eyes scanned the main foyer.

       It wasn’t as chaotic as it was yesterday. There was no intermingling between cliques. Everything was just how Stephanie wanted it. Somehow, Stephanie managed to tame her subjects and make them obey her.

            It made me wonder if there was anything new on the website. There would be probably be lots of talk about Adam and I. There would be rumors that were nowhere close to being true. I hated being the center of attention.

            I was perfectly fine with people shooting me glares and hating my very existence. It was sad, yes, but it was real.

            “Lexi.”

            Adam’s mellow voice pulled me out of my thoughts and I snapped my eyes to his bright blue ones. “What?”

            “Charlie said that Lou Sanders is throwing a party this weekend,” he repeated. “We should go.”

            A chess nerd with dark curly hair and dark eyes to match cleared his throat. I assumed he was Charlie. “Yeah, everyone wants you there.”

            I furrowed my brows and shook my head. “Why?”

          “Because, you’re the it couple,” he said it as if it was obvious. He swung a casual arm around Adam’s shoulder and smiled smugly. “You have no idea how many doors you guys are opening up. Now, Elizabeth Birmingham wants me to tutor her.”

            I stifled a laugh. “I don’t think that’s something to brag about.”

            “Hey!” His smile grew wider. “It’s a start.”

            “The start of something that will never happen.” The words came out before I could even stop them. But it wasn’t like it wasn’t true. Elizabeth, as everyone knew, was a germ-o-phobe. And Charlie—or whatever his name was—didn’t look so sanitary. The chess club shirt he was wearing read ‘Chess players mate better.’ It would have been cute, if there wasn’t a huge mustard stain on it.

            Charlie huffed and turned to face Adam again. “So, are you coming?”

            “Yeah, of course,” he responded quickly, not giving me time to object.