12 | Please Be Mine

How can I prove my love

If they all think 

I'm not good enough

✝ Chapter Twelve | Please Be Mine 

     You know that feeling you get when you try your best to avoid someone, but they find a way to talk to you?

       Yeah, that was exactly how I felt.

      Jack, having dropped me to my house multiple times, knew where I lived. But somehow, he got lost. He claimed he must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. His lips twitched as he said it, and that’s how I knew he was lying.

    “Wrong turn, huh?” I asked him as I folded my arms across my chest and shook my head in disbelief.

       He shrugged. “It happens.”

     “Whatever.” I let out an exhausted sigh and glanced out of the window. He took us to some unknown road and I silently hoped he knew how to get us out.

       “I didn’t spread those rumors about you,” he said suddenly, keeping a steady gaze on the road.

       Yeah, right. “Then, who did?”

     He shrugged once more and ran a free hand through his tousled blond hair. I hated myself for thinking that action was attractive.

      I rolled my eyes at him, becoming more irritated at his lack of response. For someone who had a way with words, he was pretty silent now. And here I was, actually giving him the time of day. He did it, obviously. I shouldn’t be allowing myself to listen to any more of this nonsense. “You know what?” I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned to face him. “Stop the car. Let me out.”

      Even though we were driving on a road I wasn’t familiar with and I probably wouldn’t find my way home, I wasn’t going to let Jack think he had control over me.

        He looked over to me, confused. “You told me to take you home.”

        “Yes, and-”

        He peered over the dashboard at the road. “You live at speed limit 40?” His brows pulled together as he glanced over at me again. “In front of the sign or behind it?”

       I tried to keep my laugh in, but it seemed as though my body didn’t want to obey me. When he saw me laughing, he chuckled along too. “I knew I could it.”

        “Do what?” I questioned, looking at him in curiosity.

       “Make you smile.” As he spoke, he stared down at me through his blond lashes, engaging me with his clear blue eyes.

      Unconsciously, my tongue swept over my lips as my gaze dropped to his own. Finally catching myself, I snapped my eyes back to his. I felt the rush of energy run to my cheeks and Jack noticed too, because he smiled. A real, sweet smile.

       Get yourself together, god dammit!

      “Jack,” I said softly, my voice was barely a whisper. “Did you really spread those rumors about me? Please tell me now. If I find out later that you did, I’m coming after you. And I’m going to cut your balls in half—no, in thirds.”

     Jack stifled a laugh at first but he realized I was serious when he caught a glimpse of my facial expression. “We don’t want that, do we?”

       “You don’t want that. I, however, do not mind.”

       He released a breath and slowly brought the car to the side of the road. “Look, I don’t know how all this shit is happening. But I can promise you, I had nothing to do with it.”