05 | Summer Rain

I've been saving my love for a rainy day 

And it's really coming down today

✝ Chapter Five | Summer Rain. 

           There was a time when I thought love was overrated.

            After Dad left us, Mom was heartbroken. I was less so because I saw it coming. They got into fights more often than not and stopped having sex because of it. 

            It took a toll on Mom because she cried for weeks on end. In the back of her mind, I knew she knew it was inevitable, but she loved him so much.

            He, obviously, did not reciprocate the love. If he did, it wouldn’t have been so easy to break her heart. He told her with such ease and casual-ness. I’d like to believe he cried when he left, but there’s no way to know for sure.

            It was because of my parents’ divorce that I started to hate couples and everything romantic.

        And I thought Mom was right there when me, but then I saw the way she looked in that red dress. Honestly, she looked like a true beauty. 

        She did an elaborate twirl and flung her short dark hair over her shoulder. “So, what do you think?”

        I chewed on my bottom lip thoughtfully as I looked her over. A cherry-colored dress hugged her waist and ended just above her knees. (I made a note of that, just in case she came back home with a relatively shorter dress.)

      Her hair remained the same—a single deep part down the middle. She never liked to change her hairstyle, so I guess I wasn’t expecting much in that aspect. But the short bob always looked great on her. It framed her round face, and brought more attention to her rosy cheeks.

       Her lips were painted red, and I knew she used the dollar store lipstick I bought her. Of course, I didn’t tell her the actual price.

      “You look like someone else’s mom,” I finally said. “Who are you and what did you do to my mother?”

       She giggled softly and did another twirl. “Don’t I look totes amaze-balls?”

     I couldn’t stop my eyes from going wide. “What?”

      “Oh!” Mom laughed as she moved towards me. “It’s like totally, amazing and balls in one wo-”

       “I know-” I closed my eyes and repressed a sigh, “-what it is. Just don’t ever do it again.”

    She pouted for a moment, but her cheery expression was back on her face as soon as the doorbell rang. She almost jumped out of her stunning black pumps at the echoing sound. “He’s here!” she squealed.

     I rolled my eyes and laid back on the sofa, allowing my body to sink into the leather—which was sure to leave an imprint later. “It could just be the pizza guy. Unless, of course, you’re dating him too.”

      She sent me a glare as she snatched her purse from the coffee table. “Do your homework,” she spat bitterly, and sauntered over to the front door. She threw open the door and a big grin came to her face. “Hello Gregory!”

     “Hi Eliza,” he greeted her.

     I sat up straight. From where I sat, I could see he was holding a bouquet of flowers. How lame. “Hello Gregory!” I called out.

    He swallowed as his gaze met mine. “Um, hello…Ms. Lennon.”

     I huffed and swung my legs off the couch, making my way over to the couple. “Oh please, you’re screwing my mom. Just call me Lexi.”