Chapter 13

"You guys should probably go," Harry says rather rudely to James and Ellie.

After the movie had ended (or should Harry say the most uncomfortable hour and a half of his entire lifetime), Sutton bolted out of the house like it was burning down.

"My roommate is having an emergency," is what she said. 

Bullshit. Harry has heard too many complaints from Sutton about her egocentric roommate, for all he knew she would be happy if her roommate was having an 'emergency'.

"C'mon Harry, you ca-" James began to protest, but Harry cut him off before he could start.

"I'd really like it if you just left," he says. "It was weird that you came. I apologize for being rude Ellie, it's got nothing to do with you," Harry adds. Ellie slowly nods in appreciation.

"Mate, you've got to understand I'm just trying to help you. It may not be what you want to hear, but you need to hear it from someone," James says, standing up now.

"Jesus christ James, I can fucking manage on my own alright? I don't need you to tell me how to act. I don't want to be some whipped boyfriend. I don't want to be in a relationship, it's too much and as my friend the least you could fucking do is respect that," Harry says trying his best to contain his anger. He knows he threw some low blows, but it felt good. "Sorry I even called you, I knew this would fucking happen I don't know what I was thinking," he mumbles under his breath. James gets up and gathers his things, and stars walking towards Harry and the door.

James shakes is head. "Call me when you aren't a fucking prick," he says, and leads Ellie past Harry.

Harry wants to scream in frustration.

James leads Ellie out the door and to the car in silence, and once they begin to pull out of the driveway, he speaks up. "I'm not being an absolute prick, right? I mean, he makes it sound like I'm a rubbish friend, but I'm just trying to help him." James sighs, distressed as he pulls onto the road leading away from Harry's home.

Ellie sighs, "No, I just think he's just a bit conflicted," she says. "And when has Harry ever taken someone's advice that wasn't his own?" She asks, looking at him. His expression changes, he rolls his eyes and slowly shakes his head. "Exactly. I think you just have to know which fights to pick with him. But you know Harry, he will call tonight to make sure everything is okay," she reaches over and rests her hand on him arm, squeezing lightly. He moved to her touch, relaxing into his seat and mentally agreeing with her words.

After a short pause, James speaks up again.

"I'm-I'm not whipped, right?" He says, looking over at Ellie

All she does is laugh.

•••

Harry's limbs are sprawled across his bed with his arm over his face, covering his eyes.

"Hello?" The phone finally stops ringing with a soft answer.

"Hi Gem," Harry mumbles.

"Harry? Hi! How are you?" His sister's voice already lightens his mood.

"Been better. Can you just, like, distract me for a little?" He mumbles quietly. Harry knew she would understand, this used to be a common request.

"Like I used to?" Gemma asked, now smiling through the receiver.

"Yes Gemma, like you used to do when I was in fucking high school," he said in a bitter tone laced with humor.

"Jeez, having a bad day?" She asks lightly.

"Don't really wanna talk about," Harry says. She doesn't respond, and Harry sighs. "I'll tell you about it later Gems, promise," Harry says.

So she starts talking, just like she always did. Back when Gemma left for university, Harry hated being the only kid home. He would call her all the time because he missed her terribly (even though he would never actually admit it). Not that long after she left, Harry had tried out for X factor, and before he knew it his life was dragging him forward, faster than he ever imagined. Gemma was one of his muses when he grew stressed, or when his lifestyle became too much to handle. He loved hearing about her normal life at university, and he always wondered what his life would have been like if he never tried out.

Even now, when Gemma was settled down and working, Harry found relief in the details of his sisters life. It was nice for him to hear that other people had problems, and it was his favorite distraction.

"...Anyway, after that I finally submitted the reports. But I am not really complaining, it's better than doing the busy work in the office, and adding hundreds of names into Junxure. So, I guess it was a good kind of stress. Anyway, when I went home that day Brian had ordered me takeout, so it was like, the best day ever. And, I think the day after that my boss finally got off my ass, so that was good," Gemma rants, and pauses not sure what to continue with. "So," she stops asks hesitantly, "can I assume this is about a girl then?"

"No," he replies, although both of them know it's a lie.

"Do you really want me to go back further than 3 months ago? Because I can, well as much as I remember-" Gemma begins but Harry cuts her off.

"Okay fine, it's about a girl, alright?" He moves his hand over his face like an embarrassed ten-year old.

"Well? You can't just say that and not elaborate!" Gemma exclaims. He hasn't talked about a girl in over a year, she has every reason to be excited.

"Well, um, she works with James and she is really sweet. I accidentally kissed her at a coffee shop, and now I don't know what-er, I don't know how to act now," he says.

"In a coffee shop? In public?" Gemma can't hide the excitement in her voice.

"Gemma, please-" he begins.

"Okay, okay sorry. How long have you known her?" She asks.

"Um, I dunno, a month or two?" He answers.

"Not very long then, you've kissed her and you've only known her for a month or two?"

"Yes Gemma, that's what I just told you," Harry says, exasperated.

"Well, do you like her? What do you mean you accidentally kissed her?" Gemma asks.

"I-like, I don't know Gem she is only supposed to be my friend. I don't want to be anything with her, and I don't want her to think I do either," he explains poorly.

"Okay, then tell her that. Or just say you aren't looking for anything, and slowly slip out of touch. I thought that was your specialty Harry?" Gemma says somewhat sarcastically.

"But I don't want to cut contact with her. I like talking to her, and I kind of want to-like, keep kissing her and stuff," he mumbles.

"So you want to hook up with her... But with no strings attached?" She clarifies.

"Yes, basically," Harry says. "But I don't even know how to go about it, I have no fucking clue what to do," he says.

"Harry, this is literally a romantic comedy. Like, this is literally the plot of 'Friends With Benefits'. You realize that you're going to end up falling in love with her? After you invite her back home to meet Mum, you are going to realize it, but by that time you will already have fucked up somehow, and she will dramatically leave Cheshire vouching to never speak to you again." Gemma says excitedly, her voice remaining completely serious despite the smile on her face.

"Gemma, I swear to god," Harry rubs his hand over his face. He can't help the smile that pulls his lips upward, his sister was a fucking psycho. "Please, be serious," he begs.

"I am serious. That was a serious prediction. Since when do you actually want to be with a girl?" she says.

"I dunno," he says, not sure how to answer.

"Just look at all your options Haz, I'm sure you'll do the right thing," Gemma says.

"Alright. I've got to go Gems, talk soon," Harry says.

"Call me when I'm right about you two, okay?" Gemma says happily. "Love you," she says.

"Love you more," he replies.

Harry decides that Gemma has way to much faith in him.

A/N:

Hello all!! Sorry, as you all know I am the worst person on the face of the planet with updating. 

Thanks so so much for reading, you guys are amazing!! Please let me know what you think!! Xx