Chapter 31

Tahi's POV

A few seconds of silence were what Tahi treasured. Sure she loved her family but sometimes it was the the quieter times when she felt like she could actually breathe. Relax and indulge in the rare silence. It occurred at night, on nights where none snorred and the moon was high in the sky amongst the stars. Tahi would merely stare up and it lapping up the peaceful feeling.

Seven people packed into one house not including herself, she could hardly blame it for being loud.

She checked her phone 1:30am and school that day. She bit her lip, she should go to sleep but the moon and the stars and the silence and -

1:31am

"Tahi, bloody go to sleep," a tired voice grumbled.

Her sister Nau.

Technically her cousin but she had always called her sister. Nau was tucked her her covers in the dark but her open eyes shone with the moon light. They also shone with anger.

Tahi turned off her phone and tucked it away. She lay her head back on the pillow, her silent moment gone to the wind. Still though her eyes were glued to the window. The crescent moon the the world shared, it was the same moon no matter where you were, she thought as she drifted off to sleep.

The pillow being ripped out from under her head and smacked into her face was Tahi's rude awakening.

Sela, the youngest girl of the house at ten years old was the culprit, grin on her face, pillow in hand "time to get up!"

Tahi heaved a huge sigh and glared at Sela, she ran off giggling, annoyingly with the pillow. An expert. She knew what she was doing. Tahi sat up rubbing her eyes. All the girls were already out of the room. Except for Hahua, the eldest who was not to be disturbed.

Walking out into the living room sound and smell hit Tahi, a big breakfast laid out on the table, or at least the dirty dishes from one. TV and radio blaring. Nau and Sela were sitting side by side squabbling along with her younger brother Afah. Tahi's pillow was under Sela's butt however she didn't dare try to grab it, fear of being tangled in the angry swarm of swinging tanned limbs kept her back. Tahi let out a sigh taking a mental note to find her pillow later, where ever it may be. She made her way into the kitchen to find something to eat, grabbing a box of cereal she searched for a bowl. Uhila, watched her.

"Hello father," she muttered, he wasn't really her father just her Uncle.

Afah tore past her nearly knocking her over, remote in his hand, he smacked into Uhila and Sela slunk in, stole it before retreating quickly back to the couch. Uhila gave a hearty laugh and gave Tahi a smile.

Tahi already felt exhausted and she had just woken up. There were three others of the house, mother, or rather her aunty who had gone to work early. The true head of the house Laaka, her grandmother who rarely left her room.

The final member stood before her, finally emerged from his room.

Vaha.

Her brother. Her real brother.

At the start of the year Vaha had gotten accepted into a Australian university with a scholarship too good to refuse. So they hadn't. But rather than sending Vaha alone Laaka and Tahi also came over. Laaka wanted to see her son as she rarely did after he moved and Tahi was send so she would hopefully get into a good university as well. And also she thought to keep Vaha company. Back home Tahi had her ocean and her mountains. Australia was concrete, brick and good grades.

To say she missed the freedom would be an understatement. Then there was the pressure of doing as well as her brother. That was crushing on a daily basis.

Would she have traded the feeling of sand between her feet and the warm ocean breeze for a heavily school bag and the cold rush off the train if she had have known? Probably not.

But still she entered the that train, everything seemed a blur to her. Nau and Afah were both in their high school uniforms, they shoved each other out of the way for the seat facing forward next to the window.

Tahi sighed waiting for them to finally sit down. Gazing out the window even the sunrise was dull and cold in Australia. None of the bright warmth of home, still it was the same sun and the same sky.

People got on people got off, Tahi leaned back into her bag, her eyelids growing heavy. Though her thick lashes she saw someone get on the train, amongst the dull blacks, grays and blues his eyes stood out a beautiful forest green that reminded her of home and filled her with warmth. She could almost taste the fresh air.

His eyes crinkled as he smiled and he nodded at her.

Meow Myths,

Just a short one but an introduction to Tahi. What do we think so far? Just a taste of her really though.

first published 28/4/2019

Vote Comment Follow

Meow for Now