Chapter 19

Nyarai's POV

They awoke in the forest, because that's always how it goes isn't it? The Great Melbourne forest was one that covered the east side almost completely. It was protected by the government and very few dared to wander into it.

However they awoke in the heart of it. All four together and Pan was gone.

They awoke as fast as they fell asleep, together and in an instant. They stared from person to person as if to find some clue but the only clue they could find were their eyes changed toward yellow and golden with cat pupils.

Nyarai was confused but power surged through her. Nyarai couldn't see her own face of course but by the expression given by the others she assumed the same had happened to her.

The goth spoke up "Does anyone know how we got here because I sure as frick don't."

Alkira stood up "No," she looked at Nyarai "but I know it has something to do with Pan."

"Pan, who's that?" Cale asked.

A look of recognition spread across the goth's face and her black lips played around with the words until she said "the greek god pan of the wild? Like in Percy Jackson."

Alkira crossed her arms "Surely not. A greek god right?"

"He must have drugged us or something," Cale whispered "all at the same time..."

Nyarai stood trying to think her way out of everything "Ok yeah it's really weird," she looked around "but more importantly we're in the middle of the forest right now and I dare say we don't have phone reception out here."

They all wiped out their phones to check. Nyarai was right. The goth girl cursed to herself.

"Surely we must be able to call 000," Cale suggested and did so imdeiatly.

"We're in a dead zone Cale, unless we have a satellite phone-" Nyarai was cut off by the goth.

"Wait Cale?" She looked back and forth from Cale to Nyarai "You guys know each other."

Nyarai nodded and Cale lowered his phone realising that it was pointing. He nodded too. The goth looked to Alkira.

"I know Nyarai, I've only seen Mr Blonde."

"Mr Blonde?" Cale questioned looking to Alkira "Nyarai said my name."

Alkira shrugged.

"Wait wait wait, so you guys all kinda know each other?"

"We go to the same school," Nyarai replied.

The goth crossed her arms "Why am I the odd one out?"

"That shouldn't be the question you're asking. We need to figure out how to get out of here," Nyarai looked up at the sky and around at the forest. Nothing, they gave her nothing. Not even a plane in the sky flying toward civilization, not even the headlights of a car. Nyarai supposed that was stupid it was daytime after all. It was a commonly held rule not to enter the forest, parents would tell their children not to and then drag those children as teenagers out of it but no one ventured further into it aside from government officials and scientists. It was feared for maybe reasons most being the dangerous animals, everyone had been told it was overrun with snakes. Tiger snakes.

Looking around Nyarai saw no sign of that. Only endless forest. Her head felt as if it would explode. There were so many questions she couldn't even comprehend or predict in the slightest possible way what the answers would be, such as; why did they all wake up here? Why were they asleep in the first place? Why were they all drawn to each other? And did that have anything to do with why they woke up together? Who was Pan?

Even now Nyarai could almost see the electric connection between them all. Alkira felt it too so she was sure that everyone felt it.

She ran her hand down the length of her clothes. No damage. They were all in tact. Pan had not meant to hurt them himself, then why did he leave them all out there at the mercy of the forest?

"Yeah I came to Melbourne for a stupid athletics carnival. Not to be dumped out here by that weird man," the goth complained.

Nyarai thought about this "I came into the city for my sister," she looked to Alkira.

"Just avoiding my mum as usual," Alkira was lying something inside Nyarai told her instantly, but still she looked to Cale.

Cale shrugged "just to meet some mates I guess."

He was casual about it but he was also lying, Nyarai looked to the goth girl. They both knew it but neither of them challenged it.

"So we all came to the city at the exact same time and also all happened to see this Pan guy as well," Alkira started "sounds like a huge coincidence to me."

"No no I can't have been a coincidence. This was planned by him. I just know it."

"But why?" Asked the goth "just to leave us out in the forest?"

"There must be something beyond it," Nyarai bit her lip lost in thought.

The other three turned to each other.

"I'm Naoko by the way," the goth said resting a hand on her hip.

"Nice to meet you," Cale smiled.

Alkira looked around and up at the sky. It looked like it was around ten in the morning. She approached Nyarai "look I know we need to solve this thing and all but I think we should start walking. Who knows how long it will take us to get back."

Nyarai sighed "That's something I'm worried about, it's dangerous out there."

"I know but trust me from experience, it only gets worse at night."

"Well here's our other problem, which way is Melbourne?"

Meow Myths,

Finally I'm on holidays. That was a long half semester. Finally I've got my characters together. Only took like 20 chapters but oh well. I hope this chapter is interesting for you as well.

I mean how are they going to get out of the forest?

First published 14/9/2018

Meow for now.