Chapter 17

Alkira's POV

The messages from Nyarai were somewhat of a savior for Alkira. She felt as if she was solving something, something big. Really getting to the bottom of it.

But in truth they couldn't comprehend what was really going on. All they really knew was there was a creepy man following them with no apparent sexual intent. Or at least that was what he had told them. Alkira wasn't convinced.

On her trip home from school Alkira appreciated the weight of the phone in her pocket. It was a comfort. Usually a burden that exploded with abusive messages. She also didn't see the man although she was kind of wanting to. She could question him. She could tie him up and force not vague answers out of him. And confirm he was a solid person and not just a ghost.

She parked her bike outside the house and crept in. Trying to be quiet because it was always impossible to tell if her mother was home. No job, TV always on, mess everywhere. She could hide and pounce on Alkira if she wasn't alert.

But Alkira was always alert. Even when it didn't matter. Her mother was watching the door, bottle in hand. Alkira was taken by surprize and took the bottle to the forehead.

It wasn't the first, even so it hurt just as much as the glass cut her flesh.

"Ouch," she hissed doubling over.

"Where have you been!" Her mother got up off the couch "You stupid girl!"

Alkira backed away but there was nowhere to go. Pain throbbed through her head and blood rolled down one side of her face. "I was at school," Alkira was polite, but it didn't matter one bit.

Her mother was in her face, poisoned breath stinging her nose but she didn't dare react "You're supposed to clean up, it's such a mess in here. No one made me lunch."

Alkira slipped passed her mother toward the kitchen but her mother pushed her to the ground with such force Alkira couldn't help but to fall "Useless."

The opening themes of 'Home and Away' blasted on the TV and her mother turned back to the couch.

Alkira was trembling. She could hardly keep the pressure on her forehead that she needed nor to stand.

She lay slumped on the ground. All the positivity of the day gone, all because this was her legal guardian. Sure she could go to the police. But an investigation would find her dust. Alkira didn't have much time until she was 18. She always thought she was strong enough to wait it out. But huddled on the ground by the front door all she wanted to do was to leave and never come back.

What was even stopping her? Money no and family was the reason why she was moving away and also the reason why she didn't have any friends. Explaining her mother brought too much shame. Alkira spent her time with shallow people. They didn't care about your past or how you are, they just care about bank accounts. So there was nothing holding her there.

Nothing.

New found strength washed over her.

This was going to be her last night. No matter what.

***

Alkira was all packed, the dust in the most secure spot, between her undies of course. She bandaged up her cut. A big white bandage that would draw a lot of attention. It didn't matter. That was her style; drawing attention. She hauled everything onto her back.

It had taken a while to pack, more than an hour. And there was quite a bit she had to leave behind. It broke her heart because she knew in a weeks time her mother would have sold everything she left and bought a slab of beer with the earnings yet what she was leaving behind was beyond valuable. 

Sentiment wouldn't get her mother an extra slab though.

Alkira snuck down the stairs, trying to be quiet with the huge bag on her back. But she didn't need to be quiet, she didn't need to stay below the sound level of the TV because it wasn't on. Her mother wasn't there.

Alkira's brow furrowed. She whipped out her phone. It was passed 12, all the bottle O's would be closed. Usually her mother would be passed out on the couch, the TV blaring some strange over sexual late night show. Could her mother actually be asleep in her bedroom for once?

Alkira paused on the stairs calculating. If her mother truly was in the house she didn't have the sound of the TV to cover her. Dread filled her alongside the thought of getting caught, then came the wild imaginings of what her mother would do to her if she got caught. Sure her mother was slow with a bulging beer belly but she was heavy and experience when it came to attacking people who really didn't deserve it.

Her bike was her only saviour. She just had to get to her bike then she would be golden.

Alkira ran, not worrying about how much noise she made. The door was insight with no one to stop her.

She threw it open.

Freedom.

The night was dark, moon covered by clouds and none of the street lights working. Alkira couldn't see her bike.

She scurried across the grass to where she knew she left it. But it didn't become any more visible. In fact it was invisible in the darkness and intangible.

Alkira whipped out her phone again and turned on the torch function.

Her bike was still invisible and intangible. The light shone into the grooves that her tires made and reflected off the yellowed grass. Her bike had to be invisible because there was no possible way that it couldn't be there.

Alkira needed to escape into Melbourne city

Meow Myths,

All characters bound for Melbourne city, what could possibly happen? Hehehehe 

Read the next chapter to find out~!

Meow for Now