Chapter 10

Nyarai's POV

The bus ride was as long and as painful as ever. But Nyarai made it a little less painful by telling Zodwa about her day. The drama with the beauties. This made Zodwa giggle almost the whole way home.

It was only went Zodwa put her earphones in did Nyarai actually think about the day. There wasn't too much to think about but there was one think that spiked her interest. A girl she had seen in the hall. She felt like she had never seen that girl before but Nyarai was drawn to her. She almost wanted to stop just to talk to her.

What would have she said? That girl was beautiful and intimidating. It didn't seem like they had anything in common, she wore a crop top to school for crying out loud.

Nyarai and Zodwa left the bus and made their way home. Nyarai played the moment of seeing the girl over and over again in her head. There was this unexplainable draw to her. She was just as out of it as her sister. During that walk the fairies had claimed her.

As she opened the front door she had came to no conclusions. 

The only choice was to hope she saw this girl again.

Nyarai was quick to finish her chores and slipped away to her room with her dinner. She set it down on her desk and flipped open her work book. 

No time for thinking about that girl. 

Nyarai got A decent way through her study before she saw something outside. A flicker of moment that caught her attention. She looked up and squinted through her window. There was something in the garden. She got up and pressed her face to the window to get a better look. It was dark in the garden the only light came from her window. Everyone else must have been asleep. 

She saw it move from plant to plant under the cover of darkness. It was vaguely human and it ran on two legs.

Suddenly it shot across the unkept lawn and and slipped through the back door despite it being closed and staying closed. It was nothing but a blur of darkness. Nyarai backed away from the window.

Whatever that was it was in her house.

She heard some crashing from the living room. The small hairs on her body all stood up at once. She grabbed her torch and her phone to investigate and maybe call the police. 

She slipped out of her room. Everything was dark and still. Shining the torch around she made her way to the living room. Her torch light caught the end of black robes and feet dirty and so pale they were almost translucent. She froze in fear and her hand reached for the living room light, feeling across the wall.

With a flick the scene was illuminated.  The figure was completely covered by the robe and not facing her. it crouched low to the ground and hissed at the light. It then turned on her, it had the face of a bald child with the same translucent skin. It's eyes were the most shocking part though. Like broken windows, if the eye were made of glass it was shattered and held together only because all of the pieces were there.

The child ran towards her on all fours. Nyarai couldn't move. the child reached for her with long pointed fingers.  Suddenly a big boot came down on the child's hand. Nyarai looked to who it belonged to.

The man on the bus. She could see his eyes now. Stunning green and serious "Stay back Nyarai!" 

The child squealed in pain but the man kicked it's jaw picked it up and hit it on the wall. It was out cold.

Nyarai was shocked, she stood there with her mouth open "wh...wha..."

"Little shits are after you all," he said turning to face her.

Nyarai didn't know what to say, she just stammered out "what... h-happened?"

"No need to be alarmed I'm on call, whenever you need me I'll be there until of course, you don't need me," his beardy face pulled back into a smile despite the fact he was holding the corpse of a child.

"I'm going to call the police."

His brow creased "No need I've dealt with it. Trust me these guys know what they are doing they need to be wiped out."

Nyarai couldn't believe what he was saying until he flashed her a toothy smile. Suddenly then it clicked. They weren't human. She slid her phone back into her pocket. He was the only one that was able to deal with them. The police didn't need to be called, that would only put them in danger.

The man looked up at the light "Good thinking with that one. Torch wouldn't have been enough. You're smart and you'll make a great alpha."

"Alpha?" Nyarai questioned as the man left the house "what do you mean."

She followed him to the door.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out... soon," He flashed her another smile.

"What is your name?" 

"Pan, just Pan," he told her and he was gone into the black of the night.

Nyarai watched him go with the child's body slung over his shoulder. A warm feeling of trust swirled inside her "Pan..."

Meow Myths,

What's your thoughts of Pan? Anyone know who he is? Anyone who read Becoming the Cheetah might. This chapter was short but fun to write, bring mythical stuff in is always fun.

I'm so happy we got to 500 reads and 100 votes. Thank you all so much!

First published - 5/5/2018

Werecat Writers group (link also on profile)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2131557653528281/

Meow for now