40

I groaned and rolled over. Kaldur moved his hand and his fingers drew patterns on my back.

Well, I say patterns but I mean words.

I'm here. You're safe. I will protect you.

"You know I'm awake right?" I mumbled.

"I am aware. You should not be speaking." He sat up and stretched.

"But here I am talking." I pushed myself up one of my hands resting on his shoulder.

I ran my thumb along a scar, he placed a hand over mine.

"I do not regret it." He mumbled, moving my hand so it was over his heart. "I know you think I do, but you are my heartbeat."

I rolled my eyes. "Do you just have some list of stupid things that you could say to me?"

He didn't answer.

"Wait, you actually do?!"

He chuckled and rubbed the back of his head. "It was Tula and Garth's idea."

That explains a lot.

Kaldur stared at me for a minute, eyes scanning over me. Then he spoke.

"Do you feel well enough to..."

I sighed, knowing what he was talking about. "I really don't want to. But I do want food."

He smiled and got up before putting his shirt back on. "I believe my king made breakfast."

"Yay." I mumbled, ones in settling in my stomach.

"You do not have to tell him if you do not wish to." Kaldur placed a hand on my shoulder. "You know I will always stand behind you. Until it comes to protecting you."

I sighed and used some water to push me up. "You don't have much of a choice. Now come on, before Orm eats everything."

Kaldur and I swam out to the dining room...well I used the water to move but you know what I mean.

Orin was sitting by himself, two plates sat across from him.

"Good morning my king." Kaldur sat down. I sat beside him and picked up my fork.

Orin only nodded in response, watching as the two of us ate our food.

"What did you tell her Kaldur?" He asked after we were done.

"I asked her if we should tell you." Kaldur tapped his fork on his plate.

"Tell me what?" Orin's eyebrows drew together.

"I...uh...we-" Kaldur's grip tightened, bending the utensil. "There is something...there is something you should know."

I swallowed, hands beginning to shake. "Kaldur, don't. I...I forbid it."

"Your Highness, he deserves-"

"I wish to hear this as well, speak freely Kaldur." Dad appeared behind Orin.

My hand wrapped around Kaldur's arm and I froze up. Since Dad overruled me...

I could feel Kaldur tense up, his hand resting on my leg.

"Are you fine with this?" He mumbled.

A small whimper escaped my throat. I don't want them to know... especially Dad.

"Kaldur'ahm..." Dad warned. "You do not have a choice."

Kaldur swallowed. "When we were children, before Percy knew about the gods...we..." His grip tightened as did mine.

"We were...abused." He mumbled.

Orin flinched while Dad just stared blankly.

I curled into Kaldur's side. He moved his arm do he could pull me closer.

"Why...why didn't you say anything?" Orin's voice wavered. "Why?"

"I didn't want him to hurt Mom." I said. "He said he would."

Orin got up and moved so he was sitting beside me. Dad disappeared before I could say anything to him.

"I would have protected her. You know that right?" Orin placed a hand on my shoulder. "I would have protected you."

We sat in silence for a little bit before he spoke again.

"Do you...do you have any scars?"

I pulled away from Kaldur and looked up at him. He sighed and pulled off his shirt.

"I do not see anything." Orin said.

Kaldur looked at me hesitantly. I nodded. He pulled off the seashell ring that was on his right ring finger.

Orin's eyes widened as the scars became visible to him.

His eyes shifted to me. "Do you have any?"

"More than him." I mumbled, twisting my own identical ring.

"Why...why didn't you tell me?" Orin asked. "You are like my children. I have raised you both like you were. But you didn't tell me about this?" He sounded close to tears.

"My king...you must understand, it is not easy to do. Even now. I have asked her every year, hoping that she'd say yes so I would force myself to. If her father did not order it..." Kaldur trailed off.

Orin pulled me into a hug before moving to do the same with Kaldur.

"I am so sorry. I am sorry my children." He mumbled.

Kaldur went to put the ring back on, to conceal his scars again, but Orin stopped him.

"Hold on a moment Kaldur." He tilted up Kaldur's chin. "What are these scars by your gills? They-"

"Are not important my king." He slipped the ring back on. "We should probably head to her father's palace."

"Yeah. I'd rather see if he can heal this sooner rather than later. I mean my voice is good but it would have been easier to live without that. Come on Kaldur."

He pulled his shirt over his head and he followed me out. As we swam in the direction of my dad's palace, I sighed.

"Are you ever going to tell him about those scars?"

"You have your secrets Your Highness. I have mine."

Welp. I'm tired

Time for bed.

See yah