The Mysterious Disappearance

!!Warning!!

(Y/N POV)

I stumbled back to Burr, avoiding the crowd of men racing in the opposite direction. "What's all the fuss about?" he questioned, studying the consumption of eagerness.
"General Washington's here!!" I screeched, minding the complete overflow of people. "I found the sack, and just as I was about to put the letter in, he--!!" The sounds of horses grew more apparent, and I realised that Washington and his crew were galloping down.

The two of us remained in silence, whilst others cheered. The youngsters waved to the General, who kindly waved back. Huh, he didn't seem so bad, after all. I sat down to calm my thoughts, finding Lafayette and Hercules slowly making their way over. "Monsieur Miller!" Lafayette called excitedly. "...Burr..." he greeted, as not to seem rude. "How are you liking what you've seen of this camp so far?"
"It's something else, I must admit. But I guess you could say it's a rather different lifestyle from the one I lived." I confessed.

"Heh, well... of course it's gonna be. This is war, if you haven't noticed." Hercules stated sarcastically. Burr, taking none of their humour, packed his things and sat elsewhere.
"R- Right..." I agreed. With Burr gone, Lafayette and Hercules made themselves comfortable at the bench. I joined them, gazing at the finale of the parade.

"So, Charlie, where you from?" Hercules asked me.
For a moment, I didn't respond, still not used to my new name. "Char-- Oh, yeah! Right! That's me, Charlie! That's my name!"
"That... is your name, Monsieur." Lafayette clarified, pulling a confused look.
"Uhhm!" I hummed, "But anyway I'm from... uh... New York." Charlie Miller wasn't from anywhere, as far as I was concerned. He was just another fake entity living inside my head, posing as a shield to keep me alive.
"Really? I've never seen you around, where abouts?" Hercules pondered again.
"...Downtown."

"Alright, get in a line, we don't want the General seeing you flat on your arses, do we??!" General Wilson commanded. As much as none of us wanted to, we obeyed and huddled into a continuous line. I thankfully stood with my two new friends, whereas Burr was nowhere to be seen. He really didn't like these two, did he?

"Here he comes..." Lafayette murmured. Washington came marching down, the supposed Alexander by his side. It didn't surprise me, honestly. He'd been chosen as his right hand man back in 1777, and was almost treated like his son. Alex didn't approve of this, of course; being raised without a father influenced him massively.

Passing by, Alexander tried to keep his eyes to the front but couldn't help but glare in my direction. Our eyes locked, and I tried not to appear intimidated by his spite. Why was he staring, anyway?

The General inspected his men, the corner of his mouth raised as he reunited his gaze with Lafayette. My only suggestion was that they knew each other via Alexander, since he would've surely introduced them long ago. Lafayette was, from what I'd heard, one of the best soldiers here. Alexander stood at ease over near Wilson, almost like he was plotting something.

"Good morning, gentlemen. I am pleased to hear that General Wilson has been treating you all well! I wouldn't expect anything less from one of my most trusted men!" People snickered at Washington's remark, knowing that it was quite the opposite. "I'd assume you all know who I am by this point, but if unfamiliar, I am General Washington. If you have any issues, any queries about this war, you head straight to me." From the back, I could see women secretly admiring his posture. It felt strange, actually, considering I could've been one of them but instead I directed myself as a crossdresser on the battlefield.

"I won't get too caught up in wasting your time, as there is lots of work to be done. I'm sure you can all predict the standards and negotiations I expect, so once again, I won't brag. We'll begin musket drill at 0700. Clear?"
"Yes, sir!" we responded back at him. From what I'd seen so far, I was predicting the strictness from the Generals to be high, considering the position of Wilson. But... Washington was different. He was careful with the way things were delivered, as not to scare his new recruits off.

"Fantastic!" he exclaimed, "You are dismissed!" Glancing over, I saw General Wilson role his eyes, strolling to meet our new commander. Alexander was gone in a flash; I couldn't even trace wherever it is he went. I was surprised by the fragile touch of Lafayette's hand on my shoulder, sniggering along with Hercules.
"How about a drink, Monsieur Miller?" Lafayette offered.
"Of course... I guess it could wash a few things off of my mind."

I treaded along, shivering under the fact of the mysterious disappearance. I held my arms together tightly, allowing the other two to go on ahead. Similar to yesterday, Sammy was standing in the same spot, lending out drinks in return for pencils. "Charlie, you comin'?" Hercules called back, noticing I was gone.
"Yeah, I'll catch up." I informed. I stood near the corner of one of the large tents, close enough for them to recognise where I was once they'd gotten the drinks.

Instantaneously, I was hauled around the back as someone latched onto the collar of my shirt. I tried to wrestle them away, but to no avail, I was too weak. "What is it you want from us, Miller, money?!" I anxiously stared up to the face of this man: Alexander. "Because I can assure you, me and my family have nothing in store for the likes of you!"
"W- What are you talking about??!" I stuttered whilst maintaining my voice.
"I'm talking about this letter you addressed to my daughter!" Daughter...? He shoved the letter into my chest, forcing me to read it. The letter I'd gone to deliver before, how... how did he get it?

"Yeah, don't think I don't know what you're trying to do!" Alexander argued.
"Why did you read this, t- this is personal!!"
"Personal, huh?" He snatched the paper back, holding it up against his face. "...notified that letters I receive from Alexander will hereby be sent to you. Therefore, I ask that you attach any letters you collect from him to yours, so that I can, in a fashion, reply to him." Alexander quoted.

Shit. If I didn't think of something fast, my cover was going to be blown for good. I'd never seen him look at anyone like this before, it was truthfully horrifying. "Don't play fucking dumb with me. I can just smell the ignorance held within you." he grunted.
"D- Do you mean she didn't tell you??" I questioned, acting paranoid.
"Tell me what?"
"That we've... been... considering a relationship...?" I lied. "I, umm, hoped that she'd have told you by now, I mean, we're very close and--"

"Then why do you speak of her sister?" Alexander quizzed.
"Sophie? Oh, well, she's just truly fascinating, w- wouldn't you say?" It was the first thing on my mind, and therefore made me rethink my choices.

Alexander pushed my aside, and I almost collapsed over my own feet. "Stay away from my daughter." He trudged away in fury, tossing the letter to the ground and leaving me stunned. Daughter... It just sounded weird. The fact that he had to pose as a father figure as not to give anything away dumbfounded me. Yet, it had to be done if we needed to survive this timeline.

I scratched the back of my head, wandering back out to the boys whilst picking the letter back up from the ground.

"Monsieur Miller! Care to do the honours of raising a toast?"