Alone

!!Warning!!

(Y/N POV)

So all was going swell so far, wasn't it? I know, you're just waiting for the 'good parts' of this story, aren't you? Well, let me just tell you, if I were to jump straight into it, none of this would make sense to you, Y/N. But, ah, you wouldn't understand just yet. All will be explained. It's only a matter of time.

   Mum and Emily had left with grandma to the hospital, whilst I stayed home alone. Apparently, I was 'incapable of leaving the house' and therefore had to lie in bed with a plate of dinner to satisfy me. I just... couldn't erase from my head the dire look of horror upon her face. Could I have possibly triggered something to make her realize? Surely some fables wouldn't have meant that much to her! I clutched the crumpled drawing against my chest, sobbing into my own despair.

   Over the past couple of years, anxiety and depression had gotten the better of me. "It's a phase!" they said, "It'll go away!" they said. But not for me. Dad's death, Meg's leave, grandma's dementia... it was too much. I became isolated, a desolate landscape to which no one dares tread. And yet, I was trapped in the middle of it all. Bullies soon showed up, making this landscape far more ruined than it already was.

   And so... I was alone.

(Time skip)

"What's up?" Jeff asked sarcastically. Unfortunately, he was on the same table as me for History, meaning I could never escape his presence. I refused to even tilt my head slightly, afraid that I'd be caught by the teacher. "Hey stop ignoring me all the time!" he uttered, knocking the desk forcefully.
"You'd better talk, or he ain't ever gonna shut up, y'know." a girl named Keira reminded me. Sure, thanks for the tip.

   I faced him with such vigour, though it looked like he was silently contemplating something. "Ah, I get it. You're just sad that you'll never get to meet that Hamilton guy!" He's really on to something now, isn't he? I grew up a theatre kid, though I was too anxious to do drama. Therefore I waited at the sidelines for an opportunity to pass, and soon, one did. The musical "Hamilton" entered my life a little over a year ago, telling the story of founding father Alexander Hamilton. Alas, Hamilton was not my biggest worry right now, was it?
"It's none of your concern..." I sighed.

   "God, I'm not dumb, Y/N!" Jeff grunted, "I've heard what happened to your grandma. Your sister has a big mouth, she could talk the whole school away just by the sound of herself!" Keira snorted at his ridiculous attempt of an insult.
"Don't talk about my sister." I said.
"Why not? Maybe both of you should end up dead just like your grandma."
"I said stop--"
"C'mon, Y/N, admit it. You killed her."

   "Y/N!!" the teacher yelled from the front of the classroom. By this point, the whole room was staring at me and Jeff, trying to get a piece of the action. How had I not noticed? He cleared his throat. "Someone's here to pick you up." So early? Jeez, alright then. My fists were still clenched from the argument, as I hauled my back from under the table. Jeff kept a smug look on his face as I stormed away. Yeah, keep looking. Karma will come back at you soon enough.

   Making my way down to the office, I noticed Emily scrambling down the staircase. "They pulled... you out... too... huh?" she asked in between breaths.
"Yeah, must be important." I blurted as both of us knocked on the door to the office. A pale woman opened it, leading the two of us to a girl. She only looked 19 or so, so I was confused about why we were being handed over to a stranger. Then--

   "Meg!!" Emily latched on to her, almost knocking her over. My older sister? Wow, had it really been that long since I'd seen her? I slowly approached her, as she took my shoulder to pull me into a hug.
"It's good to see you both." she sobbed. Wait... I had to get pulled out of school for this? Not complaining, but okay then.

   "I had to come to pick you two up since I came to visit a few days ago. Mum's at the hospital with grandma." Meg informed us.
"Is she alright?" Emily wondered nervously.
"That's why I had to come and fetch you..." Meg admitted, almost on the edge of tears. No no no, I did this! This was all my fault!

   Meg signed us out, taking us to the car park. A dark, slender man sat in the car she directed us to, glaring at me thoughtfully. We hopped into the back, buckling our seatbelts furiously. "Guys, this is Nick, my boyfriend." Meg introduced, "Now c'mon, let's go! Drive!!" Nick started up the car, rapidly reversing it; he almost hit one behind us. He speeded off, going way beyond the limit. It was a wonder how he didn't get caught.

"Why?" I questioned.
"I know, it's hard for me, too." Meg answered.
"No. Why have you been here for a few days, yet only now you've bothered to come and see us?"
"Y/N, I've got too much work to catch up on lately and--"
"Stop lying!! If you had work you would've just stayed in Australia!!" I argued, slouching down on my seat. Melancholy was trying to overthrow me, but I couldn't let it. I had to be strong.

   Halfway there, we reached a long line of traffic on the motorway. "Ugh!!" Meg leaned over and fiercely honked the horn, but there was nothing anyone could do.
"We'll have to wait until the traffic calms down..." Nick informed.
"I'll walk there if I have to!" Meg exclaimed.
"I don't think that's a good idea." Emily stated, staring out of the window with pity. Of course... of all the times to be stuck in traffic, it had to be now, hadn't it? I just hope grandma's alright...