Never Let Go

!!WARNING!!

(Y/N POV)

We'd reached in hospital: just in time. A nurse guided us to the room, the three of us walking in whilst Nick waited outside. Right in front of me lay grandma, sulking as she rested her head against a pillow. "Grandma!!" Emily was the first to hug her, followed by Meg, and then me. For me, it seemed a little different. I could feel her hands shaking slightly as she forced her arms around me. It was like she never wanted to let go.

She provided me with a patient smile, finally facing towards Meg. "I'm surprised you didn't come to visit earlier, dear!" grandma complained.
"Oh, I've been busy with work." Grandma tutted sarcastically, further ignoring any of Meg's excuses.
"Would you like anything to drink?" mum asked, sitting on a small chair in the corner of the room.
"That would be nice." grandma replied with satisfaction, "While you're at it, I'll need some time to speak to the bern." She tilted her head towards me. In grandma's speech, 'bern' was slang for 'child' or 'baby'. And, still being young, she often referred to me as one.

Nevertheless, what did she want to talk about? What was so important that only her and I had to stay in the room? Her words flooded my senses. Emily stomped out of the room in annoyance, Meg supporting her shoulder. As mum carried on, she winked at me as if she was in on this, too. Right at the closing of the door, grandma sat up.

"No, you need to rest." I struggled to hold her back down, but alas, she surrendered.
"You were talking about storybooks a couple of weeks ago." she started. Was her mind seriously getting this bad? It had only been a few days ago, and yet she believed that this memory was from a while back...

Beep...

Beep...

"Yes?"
"Y/N, when you mentioned that ring I... I remembered. I was finally able to see! Hah!" This was odd. Surely she wasn't feeling okay... no, this wasn't grandma... was it?

Beep...

Beep...

"Are you feeling okay, grandma?" I asked cautiously. In a quick movement, she grasped my hand, leading it towards her chest.
"It's only a matter of time, Y/N. You need to find that ring and when you do, you'll guarantee yourself a new life!" New life? What was she talking about? Those were just some old fibs used to entertain kids!

Beep...

Beep...

"Grandma you're scaring me--"
"You have to promise, Y/N. That ring can bring you far more than you desire!" By this point, years were streaking down my cheek like a river.

I couldn't understand...

Beep......

Beep......

"I love you Y/N. Don't ever forget that."

Beep...

"Never let go of your dreams. You can free us all..."

Be--

Time stood still. Not a single moment passed by. It felt like my soul had turned to stone, freezing my emotions. The pupils of my eyes were dilated with fear.

There.

Grandma was gone.

The buzzing of the monitor cursed my ears; the ticking of the clock ceased to exist; the doctors rushing in to her aid. It didn't seem like reality. It was as if my memory was being wiped from existence: I no longer could distinguish what was real and what was just a fantasy. I was at the point of no return.

(Time skip)

I stood outside the school grounds, looking out on to the busy road ahead of me. Crowds of people were eagerly leaving to go home to their families. Every one of them had smiles upon their merry faces.

It had almost been a month since grandma passed away, and not one of us were coping with it. Mum took some time off work to plan for the funeral, and Emily turned isolated. She barely came out of her room on the weekends. As for me? If you thought I was quiet before then you have no idea. I, too, hid beneath my fears, and I never talked whatsoever. Not even when Jeffrey tried distracting me. Course, it had a massive impact on my performance at school. My grades swiftly dropped, meaning the teachers had to lecture me constantly about 'the importance of learning'.

I felt a sharp sting across my ear and held it to withdraw the pain. "Oh sorry, I didn't see you there!" Jeff laughed.

I walked on.

"Leaving so soon?" He opened my bag to make me stop and close it. I kneeled down, heaving it from my throbbing back. Jeff lightly kicked my shoulder, and I lost my balance, collapsing to the ground. Couldn't say I was the strongest at the moment.

   "Heh... pathetic. Really." He tipped my bag over my head, supplies trying to shatter my skull. "Be glad your grandma died when she could. I don't think she'd last another minute with you around." He roamed off with his group, sniggering with content. A teacher, witnessing the event, scurried over to my assistance.

"Oh my, Y/N, I'm so sorry!" she apologised, baring a guilty look as she seeked to place the belongings back into my bag. "Here." I returned back to my feet, receiving the backpack. "I'll catch up with him on Monday." the teacher sighed, "But remember, Y/N, I'm always here when you ne--" I couldn't bear hearing another word or sympathy. I abandoned the scenario, making my way back home.

Of course, I regretted my actions instantly after, but there was nothing I could do. I was already on my way down the street, quickening my pace to each step I tread. My heart was beating out of my chest; sweat dribbled from my forehead; what was I doing? What had I become? A hushed fool greedy for attention?

Nevertheless, I pushed on. There was no hope. I was lifeless. After what only felt like seconds, I entered that same familiar door that I always crossed. Day by day, in and out. The door that grandma had once tread. Such small things that we take for granted. I avoided my surroundings entirely, my mum's greetings flying right across my head. My bag drooped to the floor, colliding into drawers as it skid across the hallway.

My legs led me upstairs into my room, my hands uncontrollably slamming the door. I no longer was the master of my mind. I was shunned down on to my bed, sobbing wildly. All I wanted was to put an end the suffering we endured, I wanted to know why I was given such a life to live, from all the possible people in the world.

I couldn't contain myself, my hands soaked with my tears.

But then I noticed something.

A peculiar ring, placed on the edge of my computer desk.

Grandma's words echoed through my head once more, "It's only a matter of time, Y/N. You need to find that ring and when you do, you'll guarantee yourself a new life!"

A new life. Wasn't that what I wanted? ...No, this ring was a con! Mum must've bought me a present or... or...

I investigated it suspiciously, droplets trickling on to the metal. For some strange reason, it seemed to be absorbing it. As far as I could tell, metals didn't usually absorb substances.

There was something off about this ring.

"A new life", it's what I wanted. It sounds insane, but if this ring was what grandma says it is then I can't throw away my shot this time. I wiped my face, readying myself for whatever nonsense was about to happen. "Jesus, what am I doing?" I whispered critically to myself. "Alright, here goes nothing..." I slipped the ring on to my finger.

And before I know it, it all turned black.

A/N

Ayyyyyy we're finally getting on to the good stuff!

Also if you haven't noticed, I've put warnings in the description of the book as to not be so repetitive all the time.

Nevertheless I'm finally over and done with the whole backstory stuff, so now we're on to what you (probably) came here for!

Y a y !