Chapter 15: A Dinner Party

JOHN’S POV

Lilly sharing a bed with Sherlock was nothing new, really. They had been doing that since the day she showed up at 221B and made our flat her own as well. What was different, however, was the fact that Sherlock had made her coffee this morning…and voluntarily at that. That was a new one and it peaked my interest immediately. The second the door to the flat swung shut behind Lilly I confronted Sherlock on the matter.

“What's going on then?” I asked, suspiciously raising an eyebrow at my friend.

“What a dull question John. Many things are going on. Lestrade is having trouble with his wife once again. Anderson has ended his affair with sergeant Donovan because his wife is pregnant. Jill from the third story flat across the street with the—”

“That's not what I meant and you know it. What's going on between you and Lilly?”

Sherlock sighed and threw himself down on the sofa. “I don't see why you're concerned by what happens between Lilly and me,” he stated, refusing to meet my gaze.

“I'm concerned because I've seen Lilly hurt enough already and I can't bear to see it any more. She deserves better.”

He finally made eye contact and searched my face intently as though looking for an answer. After about a minute of this Sherlock answered my initial question, choosing each word carefully. “Lilly and I are, as of last night, in a...well in a...relationship.” In all the time I'd known him I had never seen Sherlock look so flustered and vulnerable.

At this news I smiled widely and clapped my friend on the shoulder. “About time,” I chuckled before grabbing my jacket and leaving for work.

“What do you mean 'about time'? Wait—John!” I heard Sherlock yell as the door slammed behind me, but I chose to ignore him.

NORMAL POV

The rest of the afternoon I worked to finish and perfect my feature on Sherlock. I was determined to ensure I did him justice and showed the public more of the caring, brilliant Sherlock I know.

Finally, five o'clock came and I packed up my things. Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I turned to face Spencer. “Don't you and Mark forget tonight,” I reminded him. He rolled his eyes and waved his hand to signal he had heard me, too engrossed in what he was working on to actually answer. A grocery stop later and I found myself back at the flat.

Fifteen minutes before everyone was supposed to come I realized I'd forgotten to pick up a loaf of bread to go with dinner. Looking over at Sherlock I sighed, realizing he was too far gone in a case to go to the store. After throwing on my coat I reached for my purse, only to be stopped by Sherlock taking my hand in both of his.