Chapter 6: An Unforgettable Date

            I woke up the next morning and emailed my article to my boss first thing.  Then, after brushing my teeth and throwing on jeans and a t-shirt I headed downstairs to the hotel’s restaurant for breakfast.  On my way through the lobby I noticed the nasty girl at the front desk and gave her a wave and a sweet smile.  She just glared at me and rolled her eyes, but I really didn’t care.  Nothing was going to ruin my mood this morning with the prospect of my date with Sherlock that afternoon.  

            After breakfast I made my way back to my room and began planning what to wear.  “Well, he said the theater and dinner, so I’d better wear something kind of fancy,” I said to nobody in particular as I sorted through my bags from yesterday’s shopping.  After finding the perfect dress, I hung up all of the other clothes and hopped in the shower. 

            Before I knew it, there was a knock on the door.  Looking through the eye hole, I saw that it was Sherlock with everything I had left at his flat.  He was a bit earlier than I expected but, luckily, I was ready…save for only being in one of the complimentary robes the hotel leaves for its guests. 

            “Sorry I wasn’t quite expecting you yet, Sherlock,” I apologized as I let him in and helped him with my things.

            He rolled his eyes at this.  “Well how, could you be?  I never said exactly when I would be arriving.”

            “Riiiiight…” I answered, quirking an eyebrow.  “Well, I’m just going to get changed and then I’ll be ready to go.”  A few minutes later I came out of the bathroom, now fully clothed in my new brown dress.

            “Lilly, you look…nice,” Sherlock complimented a little awkwardly.

            I turned and grabbed my handbag in order to hide my blush.  “Thanks, Sherlock.  So, where are we off to?”

            He took my arm gently and led me out the door.  “First, we go to the theater.”

            Les Miserables has always been by far my favorite play.  I had even forced Sherlock to audition for the community theater’s production of it with me one summer in high school.  I ended up with my choice part of Eponine and Sherlock was actually cast as Marius.  It was as much of a surprise to him as it was to me when he even enjoyed being in the show.  I was glad he actually remembered that enough to bring me to see it on stage.  Needless to say, the performance was spectacular.  I won’t lie, there were a few points during the play when my eyes watered and I shed a few tears.  At the curtain call, Sherlock and I both joined in the standing ovation.  Throughout the entirety of the play I could tell Sherlock was a bit distracted, but enjoyed it none the less.  I honestly wasn’t surprised that Sherlock was a bit distracted, because honestly, when wasn’t he?  

            We emerged from the theater into the twilight and Sherlock glanced around a bit before hailing a cab and giving the cabbie some address I didn’t recognize.  During the cab ride I tried talking to Sherlock about the show, but he was completely disengaged and gave short, one word answers so I gave up and looked out the window.  After about a quarter hour of silence we pulled up to Umu, my favorite restaurant in London.  Getting out of the club, I gave Sherlock a quick hug and he led me through the door. 

            “I have a reservation for Holmes,” he said shortly to the hostess once we entered.  After being seated at one of the much sought after corner table our waiter came over to take our drink order. 

            After taking our order he smiled enchantingly at me.  “Well I’ll be right back with those.” He winked smoothly before leaving.  Now, I’m really not going to lie, if I hadn’t been out with Sherlock I would definitely have started flirting back with the waiter.  He was drop dead gorgeous (Damian he said his name was).  The rest of dinner was flawless, though Damian continued to flirt with me throughout.  “Something sweet for such a sweet lady,” he smiled as he placed dessert in front of me.