Chapter 19: He Will Always Come Back for You

            Work for about a fortnight after the trial was basically hell for me, I will admit.  All of the papers were buzzing with the trial and the question of what was next for Sherlock.  And, having been the only reporter to get an interview with Sherlock, I was in charge of the articles on said topic for my paper.  Each and every day was an emotional struggle and despite Spencer’s best to help, it was weighing on me.  Having to contemplate what was going to happen next to Sherlock Holmes and John Watson now that Moriarty was back on the street for work was like having all my deepest fears thrown in my face. 

            On one such day, I got back to 221B only to find the flat empty and having time to myself I threw myself on the bed Sherlock and I shared and let the tears finally fall.  I don’t know how much later, but I felt the bed sink next to me and looked over to see Sherlock sitting beside me, unsure of what exactly he was supposed to do in this situation.  Without a word I lay my head in his lap and he gently stroked my face subconsciously.       

            “Lils, you do know I don’t know—” Sherlock began.

            “What to do in these situations?  Yeah I know,” I smiled faintly up at him.   “For now, you could just hold me.”

            After what I guessed was a quarter hour of Sherlock just holding me in silence, I heard him humming uncharacteristically.  “Do you hear the people sing?  Singing the song of angry men.  It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again,” he sang softly.

            “You remember?” I asked quietly, my eyes glistening once more.

            “Hmm?” Sherlock was pulled from his thoughts.  “Remember being forced to perform Les Miserables?  Yes of course.”

            “Forced?  You enjoyed it.”  Sherlock didn’t respond but just gave me a half smile.  The two of us didn’t talk for the remainder of the night.  I just lay in the comfort of his arms and would press my lips to his every so often. 

To my utter surprise, for two months life went on as normal at Baker Street.  Granted, there was a bit more stress on the three of us, but for the most part life was normal.  Sherlock was up and out all hours of the day working on bizarre cases with John and the papers ceased caring about what would happen between Sherlock and Moriarty.  That is, until one night from my room, I heard Sherlock and John return home and found Sherlock walking across the furniture.  I quirked an eyebrow, but I knew not to question Sherlock’s odd quirks.  Sure enough, moments later he had found a camera hidden in a bookshelf.  It was then that Lestrade entered the flat and Sherlock refused to go to the station even before Lestrade had asked.

According to Sherlock and Lestrade, Donovan and Anderson had gone to the higher ups with the crazy notion that Sherlock had kidnapped an ambassador’s kids only to save them himself.  Seeing as Sherlock refused to go quietly, Lestrade left to get a warrant and John and Sherlock got into a bit of a row over the situation.  The entire time I just sat on the sofa staring blankly at Sherlock until I heard the sirens.  When the police came back, I stood as Sherlock did and helped him with his coat and scarf.  “Sherlock, please be smart about this.  I love you.” 

“Whatever happens, stay here and don’t follow,” Sherlock demanded somberly.  I nodded and kissed him one last time before Lestrade and the others came in and he was taken into custody, willing myself not to cry.

“I said it, first time we met,” Donovan spat.  “Solving crimes won’t be enough.  One day he’ll cross the line.  Now ask yourself, what sort of man would kidnap those kids just so he could impress us all by finding them?”  The entire time she was talking, Mrs. Hudson had an arm around me, partially to comfort me and partially to stop me from punching Donovan in the face.  She had always hated Sherlock, ever since day one; in her eyes, she had finally won and knocked him down a peg.