Chapter 5- A Freak

I sat up in my bed, shivering slightly from the chill the pale sky carried into my room. I stuffed a spoonful of cereal in my mouth, furiously chewing as I ran myself over with a mental car over and over again for how much of an idiot I had been yesterday.

"It could be worse, right?" The other half of me was busying trying to console my inner battle with this same sentence over and over again while Chi continued to grumble under her breath, adding her own snippets into the conversation.

"It's not like it was that big of a deal. He even liked-" I cut her off with a glare.

"Don't. I've never taken from someone I know. And I've only taken from humans before, like, twice." I pointed out before rubbing my arms nervously. I was still beyond pissed at Sasuke for the stunt he pulled, but the lingering taste of sweetness in my mouth was making it hard to remember why. Was he even more disgusted now? Did I just sign my get-out ticket from the village?

What does that matter if you did, Miki? This isn't real, remember?

But...but it felt real.

"Real or not, if you need me to silence this kid, I got you. You just need to let me out, is all." Chi said, grinning wolfishly. I rolled my eyes.

"Last time I let you out, I was in the hospital for three weeks, healing up. You know my body can't handle that."

"Honey, no body can handle me."

"Your pride in that disgusts me."

"You love it."

A knock on the door jolted me out of my own head, my head snapping towards the sound. My heart slammed itself into my ribcage for a moment, wondering and asking just as much as I was if it could be-

"Miki-chan! Today's ninja orientation, believe it! I even brought some celebratory chocolate cake!" I could hear the huge grin on Naruto's face from outside the door, his energy tumbling into the atmosphere like a gust of wind. I smiled, standing up and moving across the room to open the door.

"Chocolate cake for breakfast, Naruto?" I said with a playfully skeptical look on my face. He stood outside my door, cheeks flushed with excitement and his eyes practically shining. I laughed when he yanked it out of his pocket, all squished inside a plastic bag.

"I got my ninja headband! That's huge, Miki! I never thought I would, but I did!" He said, laughing happily. It was branded loud and proud on his forehead, the symbol of the Leaf engraved on the metal attached to the band. I was glad at least things were going well for him.

I gasped exaggeratedly.

"And you didn't tell me till now? I thought we were friends!" I scolded and he blushed.

"I was going to, but then Mizuki tried to kill me and I saved my sensei and learned an awesome ninjutsu that-" I placed my hand over his mouth, stopping the vomit of words.

"Let's just eat the cake, cutie."

He looked at me with big blue eyes as I yanked him inside the apartment, leading us toward the kitchen to grab a couple of plates for the cake.

He told me the story I already knew by heart as we ate the smooshed but very good chocolate cake and we showed each other our headbands proudly, roleplaying being a badass ninja for like ten minutes before we both realized we were going to be late for orientation.

"Let's go!" I called out as I cleaned off a smear of chocolate off the side of my mouth. He agreed, tying his headband back tightly on his forehead, his body wired with excitement.