Chasing Her [11]

Chasing Her - Chapter Eleven

Hazel Smithe

Despite my brother's protests, I went to school on Tuesday. A few people asked where I was but other than that, no one seemed to care too much about me. I had yet to run into Melinda nor Lisa again, but I knew that as soon as I saw Melinda, I'd punch her in the face. 

Everytime I saw Dylan staring out the window or at the wall with that blank, hopeless look in his eyes a piece of my heart broke. He doesn't deserve the pain of rejection from the one who is meant for him. 

I knew she probably rejected him because he wasn't of Alpha or Beta blood for all she ever seemed to want was power. Power... My thoughts drifted away from them and towards a certain blonde-haired, blue eyed boy that I knew was as hungry for power as a wolf who was hungry for blood.. 

I snapped out of it quickly, shaking my head. That's in the past, Hazel. Stop thinking about it. I sighed and placed my hand over my chest, right where the locket hung. No one had ever seem to notice that I was wearing it and for some reason whenever I touched it a sense of safety and calmness washed over me.. It was almost like the locket held a little piece of Evan, for up until I met Brian he was the only one who could make me feel that way. 

Speaking of Brian, I was able to avoid him all day during school and as of right now the only emotion I got from him was frustration and confusion. 

I know you wish I'd just tell you what was going on.. I thought to myself as I looked at the back of his head. His desk in math was two seats infront of my mine and the person who sat between us just had to be absent today. 

His back stiffened and then he relaxed, sighing. I so badly wanted to talk to him but I wasn't sure what I would say. I thought for a few minutes before dropping the mental sheild that was blocking him from entering my thoughts.

-So confusing. I caught the end of his thoughts and I knew he was probably talking about me. I sat there for a minute, contemplating on what I should say to him.

Hey. I finally spoke. Oh, yeah that was great. You confuse him and that's all you can think of saying?

Really? Hey? Is that all you have to say? His slightly angry yet sexy voice entered my mind. I sighed and stared even harder at his back. I'm sorry! I didn't mean to confuse you! I couldn't help it! Damnit! Why is everything so confusing!?

Maybe it's all so confusing because you're too hungover on that Evan guy. Brian replied, his voice as cold as steel. Ah crap, I totally forget that he was listening to my thoughts..

I-it's difficult.. I breathed out, waiting for him to yell at me again.

Why is it difficult? You belong with me, not him! Plus he's dead! I felt tears prick at my eyes for the first time in four days- a new record. I was about to reply when he blocked me out and I was greeted by deafening silence once again. I was glad he blocked me out though, one more thing about Evan and I would've started sobbing. 

After class was over I hightailed it out of there and went straight home, forgetting about all of my other classes. I dropped my backpack off inside before texting Alden and telling him to hitch a ride home with someone else.

I made my way to the edge of the woods and angriliy threw my clothes off before shifting into my wolf. I had forgotten about the locket, but I guess it's chain was really long for I could feel it hitting my white fur. I pushed myself on, running and running until I reached the rocky creek. 

Lapping up the water, I stared at the cave that was hidden in the hillside. I slowly stood up on my paws and made my way up to the cave, collapsing once inside. I looked outside and noticed that the moon was already high in the sky, the dark blue background littered with stars. In the distance I heard the familiar howl of Oliver's wolf asking where I was. I howled back, and dropped the block on him in the mind link.