Chapter 10- In Which a Day Goes By

Author's Note

This chapter is being published a day early and is dedicated to @snickerstein. Happy birthday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next class we went to was Transformations, and it took up twice the the amount of time that all the other classes took. I was excited. Now we would actually learn things.

Turns out, we were going over rules and expectations. Dang it. I slumped in my chair. How come teachers feel the need to tell us rules and expectations every time? I'm thirteen years old. I know this by now.

The next class was history. That was literally the most boring thing I've ever been to. It was taught by Ms. Greta Hutchinson, a woman who was over 80 for sure and was "about as interesting as a slug" says Audrey.

After that, we had lunch and a free period. I was proud of myself. I found my way back to our room all by myself. With Taylor's help. I went to my bed and worked on cleaning up my personal area a little bit. Audrey plopped down on her bed. "I am so exhausted," she groaned. I gave her a questioning look. "We didn't even do anything," I said.

"Exactly!" she exclaimed. "I'm exhausted from lack of doing stuff." I laughed and shook my head. "I'll just pretend that made sense."

"I agree with Audrey," Anna said. "I'm really excited for when we actually get to transform and stuff. I mean, you can't just show us we can turn into mermaids and not let us!"

Audrey turned her head to look at Anna. "You strike me as a talkative person, yet this is the second time you've said anything. Why?"

Anna immediately got quiet and turned away. "Oh. Uh yeah. Sorry." I frowned, but didn't say anything.

Taylor walked into our room. "Hey guys, we were thinking we should do the password thing now. Sound good to you?" We nodded. "Yeah that's a great idea," Talia said.

We all came into the living room, and stood around the table. Ashlyn sat. "We might as well sit you guys, she said we would have to choose a chair anyways." I nodded and sat.

Audrey sat next to me on one side, Sophie on the other. Sophie seemed to quietly follow me and Audrey, but always with this hesitation, as if she wasn't sure if she was being accepted or not. I tried to be as welcoming as possible. I smiled at her when she sat.

Tess was about to sit, but Audrey shook her head. "You sit directly across from me, so I can keep an eye on you." Tess flushed. "I don't have to do anything you tell me to do!" she huffed. She sat two seats down from Audrey to the left. "Fine then," Audrey humphed. I leaned over to her. "You didn't actually expect that to work did you?" I whispered. She shrugged. "It was worth a try."

Eventually everyone was seated but Amy. "Um," she started tentatively, "does anyone know how I choose a chair if I can't sit in it?" We looked at her dumbstruck, and shrugged. Lydia started to stand. "I can help you out of your wheelchair if you want," she began to say.

But just then, the one chair left began to glow. It slid back, and around Amy. She yelped in surprise. Then it did something strange. It...melded with the wheelchair, so it was like all of ours, with the high backs and all, but had big wheelchair wheels. It rolled itself forward and into the table.

We gawked. Amy looked terrified.

Then Audrey broke the silence, laughing. "I guess that's what they mean by it will change itself to the owner's desires!"

We all laughed. It was so crazy it was ridiculous.

Now that we were all seated, Taylor straightened in her chair. "Ok, so first thing's first. We need a password. Ideas anyone?"