Chapter 8: Beauty

"She is strong in a different sense. She is a survivor,"

"Can you give me a ride home"  I walk up to Kace who is standing alone at his car

"Can you give me a ride home" I walk up to Kace who is standing alone at his car. My car was in the shop, again, Of course I could ask Isabelle or Natalie but if I was being honest with myself I really wanted kace to take me home. As much as he pissed me off I still enjoyed his company and conversation. He raises a brow as if he knew my thoughts.

"Yes but I have to stop home and drop off a pizza for my mom." I crinkled an eyebrow. It was weird. Why couldn't his mom get a pizza or why couldn't he do it after he dropped me off

"I have to make sure my mom has dinner before I head out with Noah," that made a little more sense.

He was leaning against his car in a lazy fashion. His jeans hung low on his hips. Seeing him standing there like this made it hard to concentrate. He walked over to my door and swing it open. Before sitting I adjusted my jean skirt. I always wore them. I had about 20 pairs. I had my hair up in a slick back ponytail. I wore a skin tight long sleeved black shirt. I wore a pair of black converse.

He opened the door and sat starting the car. He lit a cigarette in his slim fingers the smell of the smoke was overpowering yet I didn't mind it. The smell was foreign in the way that no one in my family smoked.

"Is your car in the shop again" he asked taking a turn out of the school parking lot.

"Yes"

"that's what you get for driving a Ford"

What's wrong with fords. A lot of people had Fords. Not everyone can take an old car and make it something like the one I was in right now.

"Do you have something against Fords?"

"You don't?" he says as if everyone hated fords. I liked my car. I mean it did need a lot of fixing but it had character.

"Next time it needs something to be fixed I can do it" his fingers graze the leather of the steering wheel. He had the hands of a mechanic calissed, slim, and strong.

"Really, thanks" I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't surprised. He wasn't the nicest person. Actually he wasn't nice most of the time. Sure we had chemistry. The only thing that was pleasant all the time was the stuff other than talking.

When we got to his house I was rather surprised. It was a small dainty house that was a lot girlier than I imagined. I really don't know what I expected but this wasn't it. It was a light yellow with a pretty large garden. When we pulled up I was fully expecting me to wait in the car but as he gets out he asks

"Do you want to come in?," he reaches for the pizza in the back seat

"I would love to," my voice sounded calm but I was terrified.

It was like meeting my boyfriends mom. Though we weren't dating I was still very nervous. What was I gonna be like 'hey your son and I fuck sometimes, hi how are you'. I had no idea what his mother would be like. Would she be dark and cruel like him? I get out of the car and walk behind him. He swings open the screen door and knocks on the the eggshell blue door decorated in flowers.

His mother cracked the door open. She gave a smile to Kace and a wary look to me. She had dark brown hair with a few grey spots. She was a small women standing around 5'2.

"I brought you dinner, this is my friend," she opened the door a little more but not fully

"It's okay she is nice. She's a cheerleader. Like you were mom" she slowly opens the door a little more.
She was wearing jeans and a plain pink top. Her hair was just past her shoulders. It was rather thin. She had faint dark circles under her large eyes.

"Ah"

"Hello Mrs. Ryan. I'm addison but people call me addy" I reach out my hand she doesn't take it. She looks at it and then looks up at me

"Come in my dears," she gave a shaky smile. She was small and fragile. I feel like if I breathed the wrong way she would float away. She moved out of the way leaving the door open. Kace didn't make eye contact with me as we walked in. I don't know why she was like this but I wanted to hug her. Tell her it was alright.

"Kace said you're a cheerleader" she plays with her hands keeping her eyes down. She rubbed her arms.

"Yes, varsity and competition, I'm a base," I give her a warm smile. Kace sets the pizza down.

"That's lovely, I was a flyer," flyers are usually small so I could see that. She sat at the bar stool at the kitchen island. Kace went into a cabinet and got out a plate. He placed two pieces of pizza on it and put it in front of Mrs. Ryan. He then proceeded to get her a glass of water.

" that's awesome, I could never imagine being a flyer. Seems so scary," I give a little laugh

"Sometimes it was," she smiles taking a bite of her pizza. She was such a sweet woman. You could see in her eyes she was nothing but kind. She was the type of women I could only dream of being. Just then a small cat jumped on to where she was eating. It went over and smelled her pizza.

"Hey thomas get down," Kace gave the cat a knowing look. Thomas? What a peculiar name for a cat.

"Oh no he's just being a silly cat," she says giving the cat a kiss. The cat purrs.

"A silly cat with no business in getting in your food," he picks up the cat cradling it like a baby then setting it down on the floor.

"I have to take her home and then I'm going to hang out with Noah and carter at the shop. I will be home around 9," he gives his mom a kiss on the cheek

"Tell Noah I said hi and Be safe sweetheart,"

When we get in the car it's a few minutes before he speaks

"she has been through a lot. It has changed her," He fiddles with the steering wheel. His long legs are stretched out as he drives the car with ease

Bad things change people. I was curious of what had happened like any other person would be but now was not the time to ask. He had showed me someone personal to him and I don't want to push. For some odd reason I felt a connection to his mom. She wasn't strong in the average sense of being fearless. She wasn't the girl to survive with no scars. She had the kindness in her heart that people often lose with the loss of innocence and tragedy

"She is a beautiful woman" One of the most beautiful people I have ever met.

"Some people say she is weak, her mind is-"

"She is strong in a different sense. She is a survivor. She may have changed but her heart hasn't and that's the most important part."

"I-I-yeah" He stutters. He plays with his tongue ring.

"So what's wrong with your car" He changes the topic so abruptly it takes me a second for me to remember what he is talking about.

"I have no idea. I don't know anything about cars. It wouldn't start this morning" Of course something else he knew that I didn't.

"You should get a new car, next time this happens call me" I love my car and won't get a new one till it won't start ever again.

"I don't have your number"

"Give me your phone" I give him my phone and a few clicks later he hands it back.

When I walk in my house I look at his contact on my phone. The only thing on the name tag is a K. And for some reason that unnerved me.

************************

A ring wakes me up from my sleep. I groan and roll over. I squint my eyes as I tried to read the caller Id. isabelle reads on and I click answer.

Isabelle: I-I miscarried

A/N~ a little bit of a heart felt chapter😌