Chapter 16- Runaway

Runaway.

I was able to smile, live, and be happy. When I was finally able to have a family, things turned away from me. I am not going to blame anyone for this, especially not God. Maybe it's how you expect things to end that causes your nightmares to come true. My reality was a part of my long term negative thoughts, so why does it hurt watching things turn out exactly like the way I thought they will?

I was outside standing with Ezzah behind me, yet I felt alone. I heard loud noises from the other side of the entrance in Urdu. Where the one voice defended me, the other called me a desperate mistake.

"Why have you stopped?" Ezzah asked as she came beside me, but she never continued because I was sure she could hear it too.

"I do not care what you think about her, but I am not letting her go." Rafan's voice was loud enough to pass through the cracks of the open door. He seemed in rage, yet he was controlling the anger. I could feel it.

.

"Think twice. You know what, Firkanda was right! That girl is changing you. First, it was Ezzah and now her friend. I am sure Ezzah has a hand in all the rubbish that you believe in the name of love." The other man seemed as if he was his dad, but maybe I am wrong. I heard his father's voice just one time since we have met. I can be wrong. I hope I am.

I understood most of the things they were saying, and those understandings were enough to harm me. I glanced over my shoulder to look at Ezzah.

Her eyes had watered as her hand moved towards her stomach. Her eyes cast downwards as she gulped. No ounce of fear or surprise hit her. Yet strength does not mean that a person cannot be fragile. Ezzah was tough but penetrable. I was weak but a rock. Nothing passes through me.

"Don't. Abu, I am requesting here for you to stop dragging her into this. Why are you all after her?" I heard him, but it did not seem to help Ezzah or me. Ezzah placed her palm over her mouth to stop a sob from coming out.

"Ezzah..." I trailed off, but Ezzah only shook her head in contradiction. Pamir came up to the floor of the apartment from the other side, and his eyes met mine when he saw us standing outside. His smile was gone when he saw my face. His eyes flickered towards Ezzah's bent form.

"What happened?" He asked, looking at me again as he took Ezzah in his arm, who finally sobbed out loud enough to make a little sound.

"I..." I was about to tell him when Ezzah cut me off by saying, "nothing, you know how I get emotional for no reason these days. I felt like marrying off my child, so I got emotional." I faked a chuckle, rubbing her nose by the back of her hand.

Pamir was not buying her stupid lie, I could see it, but he did not question her. Yet instead, tightening his hands around her and kissed the crown of her head. I was not sure what to do when the once pausing sounds reappeared.

"I am leaving. I do not want to be a part of that woman's schemes. If you enjoy it, sure go along with her nonsense." Pamir's eyes knitted on Rafan's voice as his heavy footsteps came along, showing that he was in movement. The next thing we knew, Rafan had open the door fully and was staring at us with wide eyes.

One hand on the doorknob probably and the other holding a brown leather jacket, he looked anything but okay. I cannot save this scene with another one of my lies. My abilities are good, but Pamir is not stupid.

"What's going on?" Rafan questioned, taking a step further so he could close the door behind him. Wow, nice work. Not suspicious at all. I blinked away.