Chapter Thirty Seven

OMG I'm back. I am literally so sorry for the like 3\4 year wait. I'll be surprised if anyone even reads this tbh but my bf encouraged me to get back into it! If you need a previously seen on The Highlander here is one:

After surviving the betrayal from the McDowell's and Rose coming back from the dead by choosing to stay in the past, Finn and Rose have arrived at McCain land and they have acquired their help for fighting the McKenzie clan and their allies. With a wedding on the morrow and a battle the day after, emotions and tension are high but Rose has told Finn she is ready and willing to be his bride but she is still worried about the upcoming events.

Rosaline

The table was laden with cooked meats and fresh fruit piled so high I could barely catch Calum's eyes over the towering piles. My own plate was smothered in foods both foreign and familiar to me. Every time I ate one sliver of meat another would find itself in its place. Finn wanted me well fed after all the travelling. That was his excuse.

I caught him looking at my body. I had lost some weight over the past couple of weeks. Bloody battles and travelling by horse could do that to a person.

His left hand was resting on my knee gently as he shovelled his own food into his mouth. As much as I wanted to poke his ribs and compare him to a pig, I understood the need to consume food before battle. Vast amounts of energy would be needed I they were to be McKenzie and stop the brute from terrorising the lands.

"Rose." A voice drew me from my thoughts and I turned to Finlay, his plate now empty and a goblet now rested in his hand.

"Sorry, I was lost in my own thoughts." I smiled sweetly before placing my own hand above his on my knee. I squeezed his fingers gently and his face calmed, the deep lines on his forehead smoothing.

"Laird McCain was just discussing the wedding plans." Finn took a hesitant sip from his wine. H knew I was willing and happy to marry him. The events before and in the bath were enough to show that. I could still feel his lips lingering on my skin.

But, part of me knew he was still worried I felt rushed into this. Despite my death, a failed pregnancy,  being thrown back in time and avoiding rape and death, Finlay was scared I was worried about a little gold band on my finger and the responsibilities that came with it.

I gazed into his eyes, a soft smile playing on my face.

"I'm happy with anything, love" I replied. And I was. I could marry him in a chemise and a tartan wrap just like I was when we first travelled together and I'd be the happiest lass in Scotland.

"Calan's punishment will take place at dawn and they ye and Laird McCall can have yer wedding midday. We feast into the night but not too hard. We have no time to spare and must leave for battle the morn after." Laird McCain was a dominating figure at the head of the table. He spoke with conviction and authority, his words laced with the danger and unease that came with the future battle.

I tried to place my mind elsewhere than in the dark depths of blood, murder and death.

"What will be Calan's punishment?" I turned to laird McCain. It was his warrior who struck me and the punishment would be his decision.

"Fifty lashes is sufficient" Laird McCain dived back into his place, drawing a strip of chicken into his mouth.

Fifty lashes. I knew what that meant. What that entailed.

"I really don't think that is necessary Laird McCain. Really it is too much-"

"You'd rather this man who hit you go free Lady?" Lord McCain was displeased with my defence and had dropped his chicken back to his plate with a splatter. The table had fallen silent as warriors turned to watch with uncertainty glinting in their eyes.