Chapter Twenty Seven

Rosaline

Did you know that you can never forget a face? Every face you've seen gets stored in your memories. So, in your dreams, every face you conjure up you have seen before. Even if you only gave them a small smile as you passed them buy in the street. You may have forgotten their face but you actually never will. They are the faces of your dreams.

That's what led me to question whether this was a dream or not.

Whether or not I was stuck in some sick nightmare and my mind was just showing me the faces I had seen before. Like a relay of faces in a horror film that would end when I woke up. I wished some one would wake me up.

Please let it be just their faces.

Finn's, Alistair's, Clyde's...

And that woman, I hoped she was just some tavern wench I ran into by accident and forgotten, someone I passed in the street back in the twenty first century.

I hoped it was true. That this was all a sick, twisted dream and right now I was sound asleep in bed, next to Finn, his hand resting protectively over my stomach. But you don't feel pain in dreams. And when I got stabbed I was assaulted with the most painful feeling I have ever experienced. At first I felt numb, maybe it was because of the shock or because I was too caught up in saving Finn to notice the consequence it had on me.

The next feeling was a sharp pain that I could feel travel through my blood, assaulting my nervous system and sending me into deeper shock as the revelation of what had happened hit me.

When I fell into Finn's arms I wanted to call out to him, saying everything and anything, "I love you so much. I'm so happy you are safe. I'm sorry about the baby. It was too young to feel anything, to be saved. I'm so sorry about all the trouble I have caused you." I wanted to apologise over and over for what I had done before spilling my heart out about how I felt, what I wanted before this happened, "I wish things were different. That Alistair didn't peruse me, didn't follow me but then again that woman would have killed me and I would have died alone, instead if in your arms. Your arms, where I wish I could spend the rest of eternity."

I looked up at him. He said my name.

"But now I was dying. Leaving you. Face the world with your sword held high for me? Live for me. Love another for me. Don't let McKenzie bring you down. Fight for you, your men. Fight for the brief time we had together. I wish I could stay and have your child. Stay here and never leave. I wish I could grow old beside you, watch our children have their own families and recollect on the adventures we had together. But most of all, I wish I could stay in your arms forever. I look back now, in my final moments, at the times we lay together, your arms wrapped around me tightly and my head tucked into your neck smelling your distinct scent of pine and masculinity, your rough skin caressing my own in a loving embrace. I wish I could stay like that forever."

I reached for Finn's face, wanting to touch him one last time before I left him. But I didn't have to the strength to do so, dropping my hand into my lap. Instead I let my body relax against Finn's as he clutched me closer to him. His skin always seemed to radiate heat, and even now I pressed my head softly against his chest to absorb his warmth and listen to his heart beat in his chest.

Despite the relief of there being no pain anymore, I knew that wherever I was, even if it was heaven, I would feel no happiness or peace. Never until I was with Finn once again. I didn't know how long I would have to wait, but even if it was one hundred years, I would wait for Finn to join me once again.